Author Topic: Bows from bamboo back scratchers.  (Read 2201 times)

Offline RinTS

Bows from bamboo back scratchers.
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »
Hello everyone I'm RinTS, I'm new to PA but I've been reading the site for a few years now and I was wondering if anyone has made any bows out of bamboo back scratchers from the dollar store. I recently made a small proof of concept type bow from some and going to up the scale a bit. Any thoughts about this?

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Bows from bamboo back scratchers.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »
Seems like they would be pretty short. How big are these back scratches? Cheers- Brendan

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »
I don't see them being very long. I imagine you could laminate them onto the belly of the bow like poeple laminate horn, or bone in composite bows. If you did that you would need a longer peice of wood to glue them two then sinew back it, it wouldn't have to be that thick I don't think.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:44 pm »
You might be able to find some longer ones from Thailand, some of the Kick Boxers are over six feet tall.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RinTS

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »
Well my plan is to splice three back scratchers together then steam in some recurves and glue it to a hardwood belly and back it with rawhide. Do you think that would do it?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »
How do you plan to splice them? For example three equal length pieces would put the splices close to the middle of the working limb. Not a good thing even with a rawhide back. IMO. Are you sure you can't find longer bamboo?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »
Well my plan is to splice three back scratchers together then steam in some recurves and glue it to a hardwood belly and back it with rawhide. Do you think that would do it?
   No. Just make a hardwood bow. Why complicate things so much?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:24 pm »
But will itl scratch his back when he gets to full draw?

Offline RinTS

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:29:25 am »
It's more or less a test of "can it be done" right now. I'm planning on doing a "w" style splice. If it works right it just might itch that scratch I can't reach lol.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:37 am »
If the bamboo is on the back it will not work. The back undergoes tension and will pull the splices apart. If you put them on the belly with another piece of wood and sinew on the back it's possible, since the belly undergos compresion thus pushing the splices together.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.