Author Topic: Oven cleaner & osage  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Oven cleaner & osage
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:21 pm »
Hi Fellas  There was a thread a while back on using oven cleaner for degreasing osage but can't seem to find it , I have a bow ready for sinew & was wondering for you guys that have done it how it worked out for you Pro/Con or any other methods ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Oven cleaner & osage
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »
Oven cleaner is pretty aggressive stuff, I would try it on a scrap piece and then leave it a few days to see if there are any long term effects - would you need to neutralise it? Probably need to use a good strong soap to wash out the oven cleaner, if so, then using the OC might be pointless as the strong soap would be enough on its own........

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »
I got the idea from one of Simson's build-alongs. It worked great for me. It leaves an interesting "bubbly" look, but if your backing w/sinew you won't even see it. It definitely got rid of the wood's oil- when I rinsed the cleaner off the water was VERY orange.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:33 pm »
Yep that's the thread I was looking for I will have to go back & hunt it down when I get some time I have sinewed Maple & Hickory & just used acid tone & soap & bolling water but was warned osage is very oily
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:31:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure Simson's website has the build-along you're looking for.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »
I've backed several Osage bows and have used Dawn dish soap and very hot water to rinse and have had excellent results. I learned this from Pat B.  and several others on this site. Good luck!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »
 Use Dawn and scrub with a stiff brush and rinse well. Do it several times.  I use this to degrease Ipe and it works really well.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 08:25:38 pm »
    I go along with the dawn soap and a course scrub pad. I give it a quick once over and have never had a problem. I don't even degrease ipe anymore I just sand and go. I made at least a dozen ipe bows last year and none of them let go.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »
whatever soap you use,,,the boiling water is key,, sounds like a nice project,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 12:14:33 am »
I scrub with Dawn and rinse with boiling water. Works great, is relatively quick and the wet back is ready to accept the hide glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 12:53:12 am »
Stickbender,
I have built several sinew backed Osage bows and use oven cleaner on the backs of each one to remove the "oil" out of each one with great results. Maybe I continue doing it out of habit but it works well. I do create a roughed surface by lightly using a hacksaw blade longitudinally on the back and then use oven cleaner on the back until wiping with paper towels shows only a slight yellow stain on them after about 3-4 applications. I then use dawn with warm water to remove the residual oven cleaner and proceed with sinew backing. Not once has the sinew lifted off the back of any of my bows and now wouldn't do it any other way. Make sure to wash the back thoroughly until when rubbing your fingers on the back creates a "squeaky" feel. Hope this helps.
Erik

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:31:00 am »
Skip the harsh cleaners and just scratch it up with sand paper first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:50:37 am »
Any point in scoring it like on a hornbow?

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 08:56:40 am »
Too much of a good thing. Hide glue sticks to glass, it doesn't need that much of a foothold in wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 09:28:01 am »
I usually used a toothing plane to score the back of a bow to be sinewed but only lightly to increase the surface area to be glued.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC