Author Topic: Twist in handle  (Read 3383 times)

Offline gfugal

Twist in handle
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
So I have a staff that has a very nice natural reflex at the handle, the only problem is that it aslo twists slightly to one side. If you hold the handle straight forward it looks like the tips twist to one direction, but both the top and bottom twist in the same direction offesting the string pull. I have a steambox I made and have reflexed limbs before but never tried fixing a twist in a handle. I'm concerned about how much time it's going to take to clamp both tips down and make some kind of tourque lever to twist the handle. How long do you have before the wood starts to set after you heat it.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Twist in handle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »
i usually try to orientate the handel toward the string with the way I shape it,, maybe thats not possible with y :)our issue,, but think about it,, :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:29:35 pm »
I always try to make all adjustments within 30 seconds, 60 at the absolute most. TBB v. 3 has good info in "Bending Wood" chapter.

A picture would be helpful, but based on your description, I would consider clamping the bow belly up on one side of the handle to a slightly curved jig that matches the bows natural reflex, placing that over steam covered with foil, and after a while (how long depends on the thickness of the handle) clamping the other side of the handle to remove the twist. If that doesn't correct the string pull at the tips, use dry heat at the outer limbs from there.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »
Do a dry run first. Do a complete setup. Have all the clamps adjusted to the length you need and everything right at hand. Doing a couple of practice runs can't hurt.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »
Unfortunately I'm past the shaping stage. I originally cut out the rough shape by eye and thought it was straight but when I lined it up with string and everything it was off center. I had to cut the limb width in effort to correct it, like mentioned in the twisting limb forurm, but I can't cut off much more since it's about 1.5" on the handle and close to 0.5" at the tips. nock to nock now lines up pretty well, with the handle closely centerd, but due to its twist it causes a tourque when I try do any bending.

60 seconds doesn't give me a lite of time to work  :(. I'll see if I can time myself and keep it under that time. I probably should buy some clamps that I don't have to twist to tighten. Maybe I could also keep the tourque lever lashed to the handle while I steam it saving me the time of doing that. How long do you think it will take to set. Will I have to hold the tourque for a couple of minutes or does it take hours to set? Last time I did recurve tips I just clamped it and left it for a day so I have no idea. 
Greg,

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »
I will try to include a photo as soon as I can, but it may have to wait till tomorrow. A picture will probably help since the subject is a little misleading. The twist isn't actually in the handle but the limbs. It's just the tips of the limbs are parallel with each other and the handle is the odd thing out. Almost like someone clamped a bow down at both the points and then twisted the handle (hence why I want to do that with heat to twist it back).
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »
I probably should buy some clamps that I don't have to twist to tighten. Maybe I could also keep the tourque lever lashed to the handle while I steam it saving me the time of doing that. How long do you think it will take to set. Will I have to hold the tourque for a couple of minutes or does it take hours to set? Last time I did recurve tips I just clamped it and left it for a day so I have no idea.

If you have your clamps adjusted ahead of time it only takes a few turns. You have to leave the torque lever on for at least and hour. Most people hang a gallon of water on the end of the lever. Put a stool or something under it to limit how much it twists. When you are heat bending something always go a little past where you want it to allow for spring back. Yes lash your lever to the stave. Do everything you can ahead of time. You will be amazed at how much you can accomplish it a minute. If you get everything set up right you'l have time to start a beer before your minute is up ;)

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:30:09 am »
Here's the pictures showing the staff with its natural reflex and unfortunate twist. As you can see its not much of a twist but its sure causing some problems.
Greg,

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 10:59:30 am »
This is my proposed method of setup. I can see now that The handle isn't in line as a thought either. I will see if I can somehow bring it to the right while I'm torquing it.
Greg,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:08:26 am »
Before I make adjustments I like to get a bow to low brace unless it is completely out of whack. A little twist in a wood bow isn't necessarily a bad thing so I like to be sure it is a problem before I put in the extra work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
+1  :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 12:30:50 pm »
yes definitely +1 what Pat said,,
i think if you get it strung ,, you can slightly shape the handle toward the string,,  if you have to bend it,,, then do so,, but it may not be as bad as you think once braced and bow reveals it true alignent,,

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »
So my proposed method did not work! The lever didn't have any integrity after steaming and the lashings were nowhere good enough under forces that great. The lever bent and the lashing twisted, so I just tried twisting it with my hand and holding it. It took a little of the twist out but not much, so I tried again, but this time just clamped it down onto a level surface. That worked enough to allow me to brace it with some tillering. Included are the photos of it braced. You can see in the first two how the string pulls to one side. Should I continue tillering it by taking wood off the strong side, or should I see if I can fix it with a form built to counteract the twist. It has taken a little bit of set since being braced.
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 06:24:07 pm »
Your string alignment is good. I'm a little concerned about the spot where the bow, your recliner and the floor meet. It looks to be hinging there, may be camera angle.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 06:58:35 pm »
work on getting the bow to bend even, dont worry about the handle it is fine,, shoot the arrow off the side that the string going too,, you tips are wide enough,, if you want to move the string more toward the center,, then move the nocks that way,, getting the bow to bend even is the main thing right now,,