Author Topic: Obtaining Bow Wood  (Read 6220 times)

Offline gfugal

Obtaining Bow Wood
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:31:35 am »
Where do you guys get your bow wood? I understand that some of you probably buy it, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Other's probably get it from their own property, but I don't have that luxury. Does anyone know if it's legal to go chop down a tree or something with a permit on BLM or forest service land? I know they allow that for Christmas trees around Christmas time but what about other trees other times. I currently have three staves from a salvaged tree that was felled by lightning at my brother's apartment, but that's not going to last forever and I can't count on trees being knocked down as a reliable means of getting wood.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Obtaining Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:34:41 am »
Here in Utah you can get a permit to cut wood on BLM land. It costs $6 per cord, but you have to get a permit for 2 cords, so $12. They have areas that you can cut standing dead that you can cut year round, but the access is less than optimal during the winter months. There are areas that you can cut live trees as well, but here they are mostly in winter range for wildlife, and only allow it after the spring thaw. Just look up your state and blm wood cutting permit. You'll find out.

I have cut wood from peoples yards, and other private property. Always with permission. You can also call a municipality and ask what they do with wood they cut. The city I work for will give it to people if they want it, otherwise they take it to the landfill and turn it into mulch.

Tree cutting services usually have to pay to dispose of wood, unless they are selling it for firewood, and here that is rare.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
I get most of my bow wood by trading with others here on PA but sometimes buy it. I have 25ac so I sometimes cut wood too but not much lately...because I already have more than I will ever use.  ::)  I still trade or buy wood as needed for different projects.
 You could talk to landscapers or tree services or city parks workers to see if you can get wood from them. Any of them would probably give you enough for bows if you ask politely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:45:10 am »
Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Another question I had was if people have had success making bows from hardware store wood, and if so what type of wood? I heard they Kiln dry their wood which makes it less desirable, but I imagine people are still successful if they are careful or back it or something.
Greg,

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »
Lots of people make board bows. Hickory, Red oak. Board selection is the toughest part.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »
Gfugal, where do you live? I tend to cut most of my own wood now, because I'm picky. You can definitely go through the US Forest Service, BLM, or through State Forests and buy permits to cut wood, though it's an ordeal. I tend to use social media to reach out to folks in my area and just ask if I can cut a sapling or two (or three, or four) on their private land. I've managed to get all the wood I need that way.

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 12:49:55 pm »
If you live near a national forest, getting a permit is the way to go. The the most time concumig for me was string a yew permit. Not hard, just time consuming. And usually a small fee, 20$ for a yew tree, most everything else is free.  They have to approve the area for yew. But I email BLM about cutting juniper. He emailed me back saying "go ahead, and this email is your permit." The NF and BLM have been easy to deal with for me and have always been willing to help.

Eric
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 01:11:12 pm »
I cut my staves from the property that we own.  I trade a lot to get other types of trees that don't grow on my place. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 06:18:42 pm »
Check with your local highway dept. As said above, a lot of time it'll be mulch anyway. You have to go regularly. I usually find nothing, but you never know. I once found an entire osage tree that was about to go into the chipper! :o Most of it became firewood (the best you can get) but I think I made at least one bow from a limb.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:09:45 pm »
When it comes to bows made from lumber, I have had success with Red Oak backed with Hickory.  These bows are simple American Flat Bows, 67" in length.  Wood quality with good grain flow is key as well as slow careful tillering.  Wide limbs 1.75" to 2.0" is recommended.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 04:41:25 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. Eric, I live in Orem Utah. Sounds like I have plenty of options, with BLM, national forest, and landscapping/city to contact I should be able to find some. However, even if I find some this month they are going to take a long time to season. I'm probably going to have to work with Board bows. I'll have to try some of the woods you've mentioned. Maybe one of each.
Greg,

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 08:07:16 pm »
It's always an option to cut your staves and then try to trade one for a more seasoned stave. I know when I trade, I don't mind getting green wood, and sending off seasoned wood. I think for the most part, there's plenty of guys here that would be will to trade with you if you really want to start with staves.

Eric
Eric

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 09:02:05 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. Eric, I live in Orem Utah. Sounds like I have plenty of options, with BLM, national forest, and landscapping/city to contact I should be able to find some. However, even if I find some this month they are going to take a long time to season. I'm probably going to have to work with Board bows. I'll have to try some of the woods you've mentioned. Maybe one of each.

Without getting into a drying versus seasoning debate you can still make a very useful bow from quick dried wood, especially at this time of year.

Even guys who swear by seasoned timber likely only give it credit for a few extra percentage points in performance or longevity.

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 01:51:44 am »
have you considered smaller diameter 2.5"-3" saplings? often these can be found in places one would not usually look for mature timber. Overgrown ditches, fencelines, right-of-ways, utility easements. Behind the industrial park or the landfill etc, etc. Places folks would be glad to see weeded.

PatM has a point about quick drying. You can be shooting in less than a month from the stump, if you are willing to monitor it some and reduce to somewhat above floor tiller dimensions before drying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:56:03 am by willie »