Author Topic: Finally found it – whitebeam!  (Read 4072 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Finally found it – whitebeam!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
The book of  TBB1 does show how to test properly the bend and density of new woods.Easy test to do here.For density test make a half inch dowel of it.It may tell you this on google what the density of it is though too but it's nice to see for yourself.Half sap and half heartwood 5" long.Let it dry or oven dry it on low.It has to be dry.Weigh it on a grain scale to see when it quits losing weight.Make marks every 1/2" making the dowel marked into 1/10ths'.Find an accomadating plastic tube that it will slip into.Fill that with water.Slip your dowel into the tube and count the marks that are submerged.If it 7 marks submerged with 3 above it's .70 density.5 submerged with 5 above water it's .50 density.That can tell you a little bit how long and wide to start a flat bow with.I would start plenty wide and long.To be safe.66" long and 2" wide.Parallel width to mid limb tapered to 1/2" wide tips.It all depends what poundage your after.That should get you close to 50#'s I would say.I've done this test on woods and it does work and is right.Looks like some beautiful wood.
There is a bending and breaking test in the book too which can tell you how much set it'll take to how many pounds you pull it and how many pounds it takes to break it with comparisons to other woods there to make judgements about your new bow wood.I would type it but it would be a long long paragraph.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed