Author Topic: Japanese Maple  (Read 2512 times)

Offline DC

Japanese Maple
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
I've been around here for couple or three years and haven't heard of anyone using Japanese maple for bows. Any idea if it would work? It's slow growing so probably quite dense.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Japanese Maple
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:19 am »
I have often wondered the same. Never seen any of decent sized that wasn't twisted and gnarly. Billets I guess. Cheers- Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »
Really, nobody. That really surprises me. Maybe they aren't as common in the rest of the world. Around here every yard has a couple of Japanese Maple. They are small and crooked but that doesn't usually stop people. I guess that's my next quest.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:29:25 pm »
I've often thought about Jap maple but never tried it. I have a few on my property that have branches that would make a bow but prefer the trees as they are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »
Yeah, they're a pretty little tree. Finding an unwanted one might be tough. I've got a buddy that's a landscaper. I'll check to see if he ever has to prune some.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »
I've seen some stuff gone wild here. I have cut a few pieces for other purposes and it definitely seems like bow material. It's a harder maple as far as I can tell.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 03:31:38 pm »
Do they (traditional japenese bowyers) not use it in the core of yumi?

I have seen some nice looking japanese maple that may make a bow. But with so much straight doug maple around I don't bother.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:31:28 am »
I have wanted to ask this for a long time. In my last house we had a purple leaf plum and 2 Japanese maples. The maple branches were much longer and more prone to break under strain. We all know how great plum is, but in early or late season snow storms with heavy snow. Some plumb branches broke and the maples always held.