Author Topic: D section limbs  (Read 3657 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

D section limbs
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:51:02 pm »
Just wondering under what circumstances a bow stands to benefit from D section limbs. Thoughts?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: D section limbs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:11:36 pm »
Continuous war.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:07 am »
And so it begins...

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:59:11 am »
Uh oh. I hope I didn't open Pandora's box with this one.  :o It's just that I noticed Marc (whose work I greatly admire) often employs shallow D section limbs.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:49 am »
I think Pat is being overly dramatic  ;)

D section limb are best used with wood elastic in compression and are very useful in taking strain off the back.  This is good for a higher stress design since the elastic belly wood works harder giving the back a "break" in the workload  :D.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 08:48:25 am »
Overly sarcastic. ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:54 am »
The English war bow came about because with the longer, narrower bow you could get  more bows from a tree. The rounded limbs mean you can turn them out faster.

Marc, sounds good but most woods are stronger in tension than compression. So specifically what woods are you talking about?

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:10:44 am »
I build primarly Osage but D comes in to play usually when my stave is on the thin side. They seam to take a bit more set but has good cast from the limb being long and narrow. Most are not completely D in design. The belly is still flat some what in the mid limb section. Yes they do seam easier to tiller. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:51 am »
I heard that osage in longbow "D" configuration (more rectangle then D) produces handshock, is it true?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »
George
Wood is stronger in tension but all that means is that it resists stretching more than it resists compressing.  That has nothing to do with the wood's elasticity.  A wood can be elastic and strong in tension and a bow made from that wood will not likely fail in tension and/or it will make a great backing material.  A wood that is elastic in compression will resist cellular compression failures (chrysals)

You've been making bows for quite awhile now so you should know which wood species are elastic but just in case here are some.  Yew, Osage, ERC, HHB, those are some of the better NA species

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »
I have YET to make a wooden bow with a flat belly, and have no plans to. My bows range from deep D cross section in English longbows, through the spectrum, to a squashed, yet fully radiused belly on woods that aren't nearly as elastic in compression. That said, three of those four Marc mentioned are #1, 2, & 3 of my favorite three bow woods. Coincidence probably  ;)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 05:01:01 pm »
I know Dean Torges in his book Hunting with the osage bow is a big fan of the radius belly & goes into some detail about it , when I get my tillering skills better I would like to try one , I read that there saposed to easer to tiller.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:08:53 pm »
This has been very informative to say the least. Lots to sublimate. Thanks to everyone for your input.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:41 pm »
Yes, Marc, I do know which woods are considered to be elastic.
I've read TBB 1 :)
I meant to ask which woods do you prefer for your particular design- rounded belly, high stressed..
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:04:53 pm »
Yes George I've also read TBB 1 but experience has been a  better teacher  :)

When talking backed bows then I prefer Yew and Osage in that order with ERC not far behind then HHB.  I would change that order and put HHB before ERC for selfbows and add top grade Elm to the list next to HHB.  Heat-treating adds another dimension to this altogether since that increases the compression strength of wood thereby increasing the stress to the back, doesn't increase the elasticity of the wood though.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com