Author Topic: Any one use Java Plum as bow wood?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Msturm

Any one use Java Plum as bow wood?
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:43:43 pm »
Java plum, Delicious, small dark purple plums. Invasive species here. Went on an invasive removal project and brought back a couple staves and a smaller pice for experiments...

Here is a bit of info I found:
"Java Plum:  Syzygium cumini  Wood density- 0.70
Timber: The reddish-grey or reddish-brown heartwood is fine grained and is utilized in exterior joinery and carpentry. Wood is durable in water, resistant to termites, and although difficult to work, it saws and machines well and is used for construction, boat building, commercial tea and chest plywood, agricultural implements, tool handles, cart wheels, well curbs and troughs, sleepers, furniture and as props for shafts and galleries in mines. It is also used for building bridges and for making musical instruments, especially guitars."

Here are a couple staves I was able to drag home and debark. I also got a really nice guava stave that I am excited about. It is not pictured. The longest is 70 inches. the middle is 61 and the experimental piece is roughly 50 inches.  Anyone ever used Java Plum before? Any warnings?

Bark before stripping.

Stripped:

Ends.

Mahalo Nui!

Msturm

Offline Msturm

Re: Any one use Java Plum as bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:48 pm »
Ahh hell why not. Here is the guava stave I pulled out of the jungle today.   It has about all the characteristics I am looking for in a piece of guava. Nice flat back, natural reflex, strait grained and no major knots in bad places.

the end I think the left side will end up being the back of the bow.

A look at guava bark. Its pretty cool.  Gives you a bit of an idea of the natural wiggle of the stave.

Thanks for looking

Offline Hamish

Re: Any one use Java Plum as bow wood?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:29:59 pm »
Don't know anything about the plum, but there should be a couple of nices staves(or more depending how it splits) in the guava.