Author Topic: Safe draw length?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Safe draw length?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:21 am »
DC, "I've always thought that the string offset at the arrow pass plays an important part of spining arrows to match the bow. "

Absolutely

Willie, "Have you tried to nock two arrows on a braced bow, one placed on the rest, and the other on the opposite side from the rest,  get a visual idea of the angular offsets?"

That's the way I do it.

But what's the difference? The proof is in how the bow shoots the arrow. I just go out with arrows of a couple of different spines and see how they fly.

I must be missing something.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:32 pm »
I can't think of a way to explain any better. I need pictures, but I can't think how to take them. My hands would be busy and my head would be in the way :D I'll work on it.

Jawge- I knew someone would say "the proof is in the pudding" or some such thing but I'm one of those people that just isn't satisfied with results. Maybe it's because I'm never happy with my results. I have to know the "why". To me it's like cheating on an exam, the results are good but you don't learn anything.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 12:22:13 pm »
DC,, like George said, you can test it by sight, ,or you can shoot the bow and see how it shoots,,
a bow that has the arrow pass at a reasonable angle,, will shoot quitely and a wide range of spine,,
if the bow has character,, it is difficult to see how the string is lining up,, but the bow will shoot well or not,,
like when you flip a bow upside down and shoot the other limb up,, sometimes it improves if the string alignment is better,,,, if you brace to bow very low ,, you can usually see if the arrow angle is ok or not,,
sometimes the arrow pass may need a bit of fine tuning, and you may need to take off more wood to get the bow to shoot like you want,, the better your release ,, and with the right arrow,,, the less critical this becomes,, you can see where the string is ligned up if you hold it by the string and then sight down it,, but the way it appears, it not always the way the bow is gonna shoot,, sometimes the limbs align differently as they are pulled to full draw,, so really in the end,, you just have to shoot the bow and fine tune it,,
with experice you can tell if the string alignment is ok after the first few shots,, if you are having to go way down in spine,, your arrow pass is probably not quite right,, ,, once I get a bow shooting pretty good,, the way it looks is very secondary,, its how it is shooting that tells me how to tune,,  the braced profile may not look right, but if it is shooting great,, I go with that,,etc etc etc,,  ok one more thing,, if you handle is not deep like a flat bow,, the arrow pass can be wider, it the handle is deep then the arrow pass needs to be closer to center,,

ok I crossed post,,, the why is,, the better you have the arrow passed ligned up,, the better the bow will shoot,, thats why,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 11:00:15 pm »
Yes holding the bow up in your hand in a position to shoot normally most times before carving in an arrow pass and before determining which is top or bottom limb for positive tiller I can tell which side should be used for the arrow pass.Along with what I said earlier.Then it's just a matter of shooting it with an arrow of an educated guess of the right spine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed