Author Topic: Arrow shelf?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Arrow shelf?
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:13 pm »
Fellow PAs,

I'm working on a hhb selfbow at the moment and I'm considering cutting an arrow shelf into this one, which I've never done before (I usually put a little extra leather for a rest). The bow is floor tillered. The handle is 1 2/8" wide and 1 1/4" thick with 2" long fades widening out to a width of 1 3/4" at the start of the working limb.

Questions:

Do I have enough wood in the handle?
How deep do you typically go on the shelf?
How do people feel about cut-in shelves in general?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.  :)

P.S. that's just some left over cambium on the back
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Arrow shelf?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »
About a half dozen bows ago I thought I would man up and go without a rest. I wore a glove because I thought the fletching would cut my hand. One day I forgot my glove and was surprised that I couldn't even feel the arrow leave. Once in a while if I nock the arrow too low I can feel it go by. It's just a reminder to pay attention. With no rest all your questions become non-issues and I feel you can actually make the handle a bit narrower.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:15 pm »
Thanks DC. That's kinda what I wanted to hear.  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »
Now that I have spouted off I should mention that I only target shoot. If I was sitting in a stand waiting for deer all day I would probably want a rest to keep the arrow in position. I just wanted to say that before the hunters jumped on me ;D ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 09:27:24 pm »
I only shoot at targets as well, but I sure would like to get a turkey one day. Saw one sitting under my target bag the other day.  :o Unfortunately, here in NY, it takes more time and $ to get an archer's license than to use a gun.  ::)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:48:39 am »
You can make handle 1" wide and don't do rest at all. But anyways think about that when the bow is tillered, not now. If you cut the rest now but when tiller is finished you realize you don't like that limb to be upper, you will mess up.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 04:30:16 am »
Old Guy & Old School here - I've always shot off My knuckle. If You want to shoot a cut to center shot and use a shelf shoot a lamenated Bow. Just My .02 tho  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:51 am »
Thanks guys.  :D

Nigerian Proverb

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:27:48 am »
I almost always cut a shelf in. Rarely goes to center, but it helps hold the arrow in place. You could easily come in 3/8" without any issues.

There are so many different ways to make bows, and varied philosophies on what's right and wrong that you rarely find concensus on a topic. Try differnet looks until you find the one that works for you.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
One advantage of the shelf is that it prevents vanes from cutting into your hand. I must use a glove because I have arrows with plastic vanes. But if you have feathers like DC above describes it, you don't need shelf (my opinion).

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 02:52:45 pm »
I think it locks you in on where the arrow will go,, if there is no rest,, you can experiment up and down a bit and see if there is a sweet spot,, then put a leather rest if you want,,   being able to move the placement of the arrow rest gives you some tuning flexibility that a cut in rest will not,, and I dont see any advantage to cutting in the rest,, if thats what you like, it can work fine,, I see some nice bows with them,,

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 03:54:21 pm »
Thanks again to all.

Brad, I see your point with finding the sweet spot, then going with something on the side. I think the allure of cutting one in comes from never having done it.

Nigerian Proverb