Author Topic: Identifying bow woods in winter  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Onestupidsob

Identifying bow woods in winter
« on: November 11, 2016, 10:29:49 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Let me say this has been a great resource for me lurking in the shadows. So much info, only on page 437 of bows.

Anyway I've been out harvesting as much as the old lady let me but as it turns to winter here the leaves are falling and they are my main identifiers. I'm becoming more familiar and paying more attention to structure and bark and anything else I can to help identify potential bow wood tree.

So, the question. How do you guys go about identifying trees in winter?

To date I've harvested some Oregon ash, elderberry, ocean spray, yew, still hunting vine maple..... all pretty easy with the exception of Oregon ash just looks like another tree to me without leaves.

Still building my knowledge base.

Thanks
Stupid

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Identifying bow woods in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »
I live in a different part of the country, we don't have ocean spray or yew> Bark is one good source, also try checking out the fallen leaves under trees, this can work.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:39:07 pm »
Get a copy of the Audubon Field Guide for Western trees. It not only gives pics of the leaves, green and in full color but also bark, flower and fruit and the basic shape of the tree. The written identification information is good also. It might be a little pricey but I bet you can find used versions on line or at used book stores.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:54:36 pm »
Scout out some trees during the summer and cut them during the winter.  I've got a note saved on my phone with tree locations.  If I find one I want to cut I'll save the name and where it's at.  In the winter I'll check my notes and go cut the trees. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Onestupidsob

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:14 am »
Thanks for the replies!

Hrothgar- I will look for these "fallen leaves"... almost seems too easy...  ;D
Pat- Can never have too many books! I've been looking at a few for wild edibles as well. Trying to become more accustom with Latin names and categorizing. Just starting though. Interesting stuff.
Osage outlaw- That's kind da what I was thinking. ID in summer. Mark with ribbon with species note come back later.

Its usually the obvious that escapes me....thanks guys!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:14:12 am »
Vine maple,  around here the bark is lime green and smooth so pretty easy to ID in the winter.
The twigs always end in 2, like little sling shots

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 03:35:51 am »
A lot of trees can be identified by their twigs.