Author Topic: Wiggle handled 68" osage & arrow shafts  (Read 13227 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Wiggle handled 68" osage.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 01:04:26 am »
OO....Thanks.Seems like there's a lot of that likeness of profile going around most times on a lot of bows displayed.The curvy wervys.....lol.They do serve a good purpose besides looks though.I've seen your beautiful versions of the same thing.Old osage will always bring someone out of a bow making slump.
bubby....Thanks.Yea I got a bit closer to a goal with this one.I saw the potential those 2 staves up there had for a while and decided to try one.They were 4 years old.It's been discussed and really I think a lot of those sapling type staves can make some stout bows.No wonder a lot of osage bendy handled sapling bows are such great stout shooters.
Pat....Thanks.I got one more sister but will have to turn her upside down to get the curves in the right places again.
Orrum & Horthgar....Thanks.If I had my way I'd have the walls covered with furs....lol.2 of my favorite shows of all time are Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 01:28:54 am »
OO....Thanks.Seems like there's a lot of that likeness of profile going around most times on a lot of bows displayed.The curvy wervys.....lol.They do serve a good purpose besides looks though.I've seen your beautiful versions of the same thing.Old osage will always bring someone out of a bow making slump.
bubby....Thanks.Yea I got a bit closer to a goal with this one.I saw the potential those 2 staves up there had for a while and decided to try one.They were 4 years old.It's been discussed and really I think a lot of those sapling type staves can make some stout bows.No wonder a lot of osage bendy handled sapling bows are such great stout shooters.
Pat....Thanks.I got one more sister but will have to turn her upside down to get the curves in the right places again.
Orrum & Horthgar....Thanks.If I had my way I'd have the walls covered with furs....lol.2 of my favorite shows of all time are Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men.

You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim... lol don't everyone love that movie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 02:18:08 am »
You can skin Grizz...Ha Ha.There you go pilgrim and I'll get you another.
BowEd
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 02:50:45 am »
Dude!! Sick!! Looks like it'd cast them real straight..

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 03:11:30 am »
Thanks loon....You can be sure it does.I've been bare shaft tuning a dozen spruce shafts for it and got them flying like darts without any feathers.Clean and quiet.Does'nt mean the bulls eye is hit every time though.....lol.That part is just like every other bow....lol.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:28:59 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 03:44:15 am »
Very nicely done there Ed. The unstrung profile says it all :)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 04:35:17 am »
" A full time night Woman ???" Nice Bow ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 05:44:45 am »
Very sweet, gorgeous curves :-*
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 08:31:04 am »
Good looking bow, Ed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 09:09:53 am »
Fantastic bow Ed. I really like your handles.

Offline GB

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
Sweet looking bow!  Bet it's a nice shooter.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:44 am »
Thanks fellas.Means a lot from all of you guys.Really your all a part of it one way or another.I was just persistant enough to recognize a good piece of wood.
Should be out a hunting here but woosed out thinking it was too cold.My fingers and wrists get so stiff I can't even unzip to take a leak let alone shoot a bow.....lol.A lot of frost this morning.I got some hand warmers now though.....lol.Will try this evening.
chamookman....That's a classic!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:38 am »
Great looking bow Ed.   I like all of it, including the curves and the inlay

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 10:06:09 am »
Thanks Aaron.Not that complicated type inlay but it works.....lol.Not like some I've seen.It really does have it's use though and does'nt wear one bit from shooting a lot.A drill bit and a round sliver of horn from the tips of these gemsbok horns.11/32" dot.The arrow shaft covers the dot.It has to be rounded and raised just ever so slightly so the shaft rides on that only without any obstructions from release.A 1/16th inch area.It has to be dark against a lighter background so I can just glance at it in the dark on the stand or in a dark blind.Price I pay for shooting off the knuckle but I'm used to it so it works ok.
The bow you showed just lately was inspiring to me even though this one is not a D/R type.That's a real dandy for sure.Decided to go longer with a bow I guess.I think that's a big part of the success to this bow I made here too as far as holding it's profile.
I'll have to take it out in the rain sometime to see if that layered lacquer finish hold up on that rawhide.Hated putting that on but it was either that or up on the shelf with the others on the shelf of shame.....lol.The overlays I robbed off a failure in the past too,so not throwing them in the wood stove so quick has it's benefits....lol.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:14:26 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 04:17:33 pm »
very nice congrats,, I especially like the way you addressed the splinter,, looks great,,