Author Topic: Possible drawlength 62"  (Read 11428 times)

Chris3kilo

Re: Possible drawlength 62"
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »
Sweet bow. How did you get that handle so thin without it bending?
In my logic, tillering out those hinges would allow for even more draw length. But I'm probably overly optimistic now.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 05:37:39 pm »
Hinges?

Offline bubby

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
That handle does bend some, if you tiller a bendy correctly you don't really notice it bending very much and you certainly can't see it in a pic
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 08:17:42 pm »
You might be able to get 30" out of a 62" bow, depends if the wood is tension strong and elastic enough to survive the process.  String angle would be a problem but bending in slight recurves would help with that
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Chris3kilo

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:06 am »
don't know

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:00 pm »
I pull a 29 in. Draw a tad over and I made this bow from a 62 in. Stave it's Hickory/sinew with a heat treated belly it's a great shooting hunting bow I also tillered it to 30in. & flip the tips just a bit for string angle, the limbs are 1 1/4 wide it shoots the mid 150fps with B50 & 530 grain arrow with sinew you could probably pull it off with your narrow limbs.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Chris3kilo

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2016, 01:07:21 am »
That's a really goodlooking bow. And thanks for actually trying to help unlike some of the grumpy old men who only seem to be interrested in telling you how bad at making bows you are. It's a mystery to me why they're even active on forums if they're not interested in helping.

Offline bubby

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2016, 01:19:54 am »
I guess I'm one of the old men but i don't think i said you were a lousy bow maker and don't remember anyone else saying that. In fact i don't think i have seen a pic of any of your work sooooo i wouldn't say that. People are giving you advice take it or not your choice jeesh don't ask a ? If ya don't want an answer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Chris3kilo

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2016, 01:31:15 am »
I am of cause talking about PatM. I don't know.. people are just more respectful to each other on this side of the Trump wall. Maybe thats why we don't constantly shoot each other.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2016, 06:39:10 am »
Hey Chris I think your misenterpeting what people are trying to do this hobby can be heart breaking ,kick in the gut pain full ,you can spend a 100 hours making a bow  & over look some thing that one of these GOM said & make fire wood ,I know I have done it ! I think most are just trying to help , but I understand how things can get frustrating , If you feel you can make the bow , just make it & post it so guys like me can learn , But to be Honest whith you Chris I find you across the pound political comments offensive ,we just honered our fallen veterans , I think we have earned the right to build a wall ,I would leave the political  crap out . I'm just saying that as politely as I can !

Offline PatM

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2016, 08:10:52 am »
I actually showed you exactly how to make this shorter bow with a longer draw. Did you miss that?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2016, 09:13:13 am »
Look at it this way chris.Bow making can be an adventure and will definitely have it's learning curves to it.Sometimes good/sometimes bad.No matter if a person has been using hand tools all their lives or not.There is one thing in a bowyers personality that you must have,and that's persistance.Persistance to solve problems.Because they will appear.An old saying by a bow maker in the past I always remember.A bowyer has to be almost more persistant than smart sometimes.Bow making because of it's variables in wood can be and usually is problem solving 101.
I hav'nt any doubts that you have this quality,because if you don't it'll just be an experiment with no conclusion.I personally will vouch for all of the commenters who have given you suggestions and have seen their bows on this forum.I hope you can realize this and have fun with the hobby.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2016, 09:36:51 am »
Well this is all moot now since Chris has put his account up for deletion, hopefully a lesson to those that were overly critical.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:59 am »
I hear ya.Guess doing more listening than talking works best heh???My girl friend seems to like that line.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2016, 09:50:40 am »
I apolgise if I was overly critical Im a very easy going person but when somebody trashes our country thats where I draw the line sorry