Author Topic: Possible drawlength 62"  (Read 11427 times)

Chris3kilo

Re: Possible drawlength 62"
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 12:31:02 pm »
I'll finish, it one way or another and report back :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 12:39:17 pm »
Don't see how a hornbows or sinew backing would be that hard. I might be new with bows, but I'm no stranger working with tools. Actually I get payed for that.

Surprisingly a lot of guys that work with tools for building static objects struggle with actual bowmaking. Particularly when working in more organic shapes.

Chris3kilo

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 12:58:26 pm »
Lol are you always this pessimistic PatM ?  :laugh:
Or are you saving it all for me?

Offline PatM

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:39 pm »
I save it for all of the guys who are overly optimistic about how easily they will master the more complex forms of bowmaking. ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 01:09:59 pm »
I was paid to build things with tools for 30 years man and i have built some simple horn bows. Really nothing simple about them. The problem isn't really the length that you have but the width that is going to be the problem, i imagine that you will end up with quite a bit of set which will effect the performance considerably. Did anyone tell you not to build it i won't, you have 62" ntn just use a 4" grip and 1-1/2" fades and go for it. And no patm spreads the love equally lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Chris3kilo

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:26 pm »
Lol bubby. Glad to hear. What i meant by working with tools is, don't hold back good idea's just because you think it's too hard for a newbie bowyer because I'm generally good with tools, glue and plastic/epoxy stuff. Ok.. hornbow's didn't look as easy as i thought but sinew would be easy, i'm sure.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 01:37:53 pm »
Lol are you always this pessimistic PatM ?  :laugh:

Yup, he is. But its a good pessimism he offers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
making a sinew bow is not easy,, it is not so much about the tools,, or knowing how to use them,,,, there are things that just cant be measured or explained and have to be learned by experience,, once you learn how to do it,, it is still not easy,, but easier,,
just because you can use a pencil,, does not mean you can draw a portait of someone,, or if you know how to use a brush,, doesnt mean making a painting will be easy ,,,,,etc etc etc etc,,,  no its not rocket science,, (for some guys it is)  but there is not part of it that is easy,, from the start cutting the right tree( this is not easy), to getting a good even tiller that will perform well for the bow,,,,making a durable bow that has good cast may seem easy,, it can be fun,, but never seemed easy,,even after 30 years of making them,,

Chris3kilo

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 02:12:11 pm »
Good thing he didn't offer this guy his "good" pessimism before starting on that bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=28867.0 :laugh:

Making a bow isn't easy ain't arguing with that. But to prepare and glue on sinew looks like the easiest part of the process to me.

Offline PatM

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 02:24:41 pm »
Good thing he didn't offer this guy his "good" pessimism before starting on that bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=28867.0 :laugh:

Making a bow isn't easy ain't arguing with that. But to prepare and glue on sinew looks like the easiest part of the process to me.

Why not? The bow is poorly tillered but the design is solid.

Chris3kilo

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »
True but he did reach an incredible drawlength. Is that your bow on the picture PatM?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »
That's just a PVC bow he made with a heat gun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Chris3kilo

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »
PatM's pic or my link?

Offline bubby

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »
I hate to agree with pat😜 but he is right the square tiller ends up giving a little more length and juniper bends pretty easy, it also explodes on a whim with a well tillered bow. The fact is you can find examples that will go against the norm with almost anything. That doesn't mean that that is the best way to go, there is a reason most everyone gave roughly the same advice😉

Offline bubby

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »

This bow is around 55" ntn and will draw 28" but it is about 2" wide, it is also sinew backed or i wouldn't have attempted that long a draw