Author Topic: String silencers  (Read 3277 times)

Offline DC

String silencers
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:41 pm »
I made some wool puffballs to diminish the noise on my recurve and discovered that most of the handshock disappeared. Is this common knowledge that I missed somehow or have I made a great new discovery?(I think I know the answer)

Offline Stoker

Re: String silencers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
Slows string speed.. Kinda shock absorber in sorts..
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:42 pm »
...and they absorb some of the vibrations. I never really thought about it but it make since.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:57 pm »
does anyone know how much they slow down a bow?    cant be much?.....guess it all depends what they are made of and how big etc...

thats interesting they  reduce handshock.........well spotted!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
Think of a parachute.  People like skinny string because they limit wind resistance and then put a parachute on.

I don't use silencers and I've never seen a primitive bow with any. Those guys still feed themselves.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:46 pm »
Yeah, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I like the speed but I don't like the noice. I started with maybe 3" puffballs. They stopped the noise and handshock. Then I just trimmed away with scissors until I was satisfied with both. I ended up with about 1 1/2" puffs. I may do some chrono testing later. I'm just getting over a headcold and my hearing is shot so I don't know how loud it is for sure. ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:51:00 pm »
I like everything about them and use them on all my bows. Fur, yarn or wool. I use rubber on my glass long bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:03 pm »
I like everything about them and use them on all my bows. Fur, yarn or wool. I use rubber on my glass long bow.

Yep, cured about 90% of the twang and stuff on my recurve.  Don't use the stuff on my wood bows, no need to.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »
...and they look cool.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:17:08 am »

I don't use silencers and I've never seen a primitive bow with any. Those guys still feed themselves.
[/quote]

You need to check some of the old westcoast bows then
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:38:48 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52702.msg714144.html#msg714144

I've seen several examples but it was easier to find this one chuck built this was like the ones i have seen

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:13:51 am »
Yes they work but really they are best suited to a glass bow. A well made wooden bow should be almost dead quiet anyway. Handshock is something to do with your tiller and again it can be got rid of in a wooden bow so no need to put up with it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:11 am »
Its all a matter of usage. If you stand in a line and shoot arrows as far as you can, who cares if the bow makes a bit of noise. If its early dawn, dead quiet and a buck is standing 10 yards away, you want them and you want a bow that whispers. Deer can get out the way of an arrow at 7-8 yards, why give them any more of a chance?

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:48:14 am »
Very minimal difference in speed I see using or not using string silencers.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 09:56:49 am »
I don't need them for hand shock but they quiet the shot, work as wind indicators and they look cool