Author Topic: Finish on rawhide  (Read 5418 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Finish on rawhide
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
I was wondering what type water proofing or kind of finish people might like to put on rawhide backed bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ajooter

Re: Finish on rawhide
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:48:04 am »
I put shellac on mine...havent weather tested mine much tho.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:54:05 pm »
I stain, then apply multiple coats of Tru oil, and then wax.  The stain is usually absorbed by the hide in a non uniform manner, leaving a camo type effect.  You will either like the look - or not.  Do a test on a sample piece. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:32:53 pm »
I like the look of tung oil,, but a good poly finsih is probabl more weather proof,,
spray it on ,, and then put wax on to tone the shine down,, leave the wax thick for bad weather,,

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »
I like tung or danish oil.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
Tru-Oil just like any bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »
Thanks.The reason for asking is that I know most things get absorbed by the rawhide darkening it some from working with rawhide and leather in the past.Whether it compromises adhesion of the TB 3 glue has crossed my mind too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:47:05 pm »
Also too thick of a finish could really cause it to crackle some from bending.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 04:58:55 pm »
i have never had poly or tung oil crackle,,
I have thought that the tung oil might comprise the glue,, but have no proof,, just thinking to much

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »
Tru oil and satin poly for last coat to cut the shine, never had a problem and have done a bunch. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 05:41:56 pm »
Thanks.The reason for asking is that I know most things get absorbed by the rawhide darkening it some from working with rawhide and leather in the past.Whether it compromises adhesion of the TB 3 glue has crossed my mind too.

I really like Tru-oil for the way it soaks in just a touch and then sets.  It doesn't actually penetrate anywhere near down to the glue-line
  You'd probably need to be using a totally non-setting finish for that to happen.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:03:02 pm »
Well I've tested bees wax/tru oil/ and lacquer.Beading water up on all of the finishes.To tell the truth I think I'll use a combination.Lacquer and then a paste wax buffed out over that.Nothing but wood underneath this rawhide project.No sinew involved.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 09:25:04 pm »
I've only backed one bow with rawhide, and sealed everything with poly. That was 15 years ago and it still looks good.

Several years back I  did a little research on tung oil. Chances are, what we find in hardware stores sold as tung oil is likely a mixture of poly, linseed oil and turpentine--or something similar. Pure tung oil is pretty expensive and not readily available.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 09:44:32 pm »
ok Ed,,, I repair some african drums sometime,, well its rawhide head,, the african guys will put super glue on the whole head,, they say it makes it stronger,, so I tried it on a rawhide back and then sprayed with poly,,, so far so good,,,  :)

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:25 pm »
Beadman: what kind of lacquer do you use? urushi?? shellac?

hope's tung oil is not that expensive on amazon. advertised 100% pure tung oil. It's what I have. Maybe I should buy more in case it ever runs out O_o Sigh.
Screw poly. Shellac! The real stuff, maybe from button lac, not the cans. But I've never seen it on rawhide? But I have definitely seen it on sinew. So.

finally I write with the tiniest personal experience, rather than out of random stuff I've read. I bought a can of spray-on poly and regretted it. Freaking thing could explode or god knows. I could just use newspaper around whatever I'd spray, but then that newspaper could spontaneously combust... besides, I bet it would smell awful. Eh, I guess brush-on poly might not be so bad, but why use it if shellac probably works just as well, looks better, and is more 'primitive'?
I got a can of shellac. Not that good I guess.
Then I got button lac. Took a few hours to dissolve in denatured alcohol. Applied it on my hornbow. Seems legit.

But denatured is nasty stuff... how to get pure ethanol..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:20:57 am by loon »