Author Topic: Question about downed logs and checking  (Read 977 times)

Offline silent sniper

Question about downed logs and checking
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:44:53 am »
Hey guys, I have a question regarding downed logs/large limbs and there application for bows. The power company cut down several shagbark hickory trees several months ago. There is a nice straight 8ft long log and another larger 12ft log. I can see checking in the wood at both ends of the logs. Does the checking go throughout the entire log or can I go 1-2ft down the log and cut through and start from there? Thanks SS

Offline Aaron H

Re: Question about downed logs and checking
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:08:04 pm »
After being down for several months, the checking isn't the problem.  It's the bugs and the decay that have already developed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:08:52 pm »
Downed white woods go bad quickly.  Some trees it doesn't matter.  Osage can be down for years and still be good bow wood inside.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:17:11 pm »
Hickory? Several months? I'd pass. I tried it once years ago. All looked fine until I started flexing the limbs. They were like wet noodles and took a lot of set before I got anywhere near final tiller. Get some fresh stuff.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
I had a 12"hickory log given to me that had been on the ground for 2 weeks then in a garage fir 2 years and it was rotted through and through!. Unless you need firewood, leave them lie.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC