Author Topic: Biconvex cross section  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Jack Napier

Biconvex cross section
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
I see a lot of bows out there with rectangular cross sections. What are the advantages of a biconvex cross section? If I understand correctly this type of bow is typically made when a split stave has wood removed from the belly only, and none from the sides. Seems like the least time consuming way to make a bow, what about performance? Thanks.

Offline bubby

Re: Biconvex cross section
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
Most woods seem to handle a flat belly better than a convex one.  I know i only side tiller when a limb is getting too thinso i do most all tillering from the belly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

Re: Biconvex cross section
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:16:49 pm »
I see a lot of bows out there with rectangular cross sections. What are the advantages of a biconvex cross section? If I understand correctly this type of bow is typically made when a split stave has wood removed from the belly only, and none from the sides. Seems like the least time consuming way to make a bow, what about performance? Thanks.

Bioconvex is more aesthetically pleasing  in a stave bow and actually adequate for withstanding compression in most bow woods, particularly if the limb is a bit wider.

Wood still has to be removed from the sides though or you'd never get a width profile tapering to the tips.