Author Topic: bow failure due to ff string  (Read 4739 times)

Offline PatM

Re: bow failure due to ff string
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 08:30:43 pm »
Some glass bows have poorly filed nocks with the grooves cut sharply across the limb with no finessing of the angle. That allows the string to get a start in splitting the limb.

It's those bows that set this  essential myth in motion.

I can pretty much guarantee if you use FF string with the older glass bows from the 60's, 70's you are sitting on a Fibre glass bomb just waiting to go off. The glass used now is a lot different then what was used in those days.

But, now I try to use Fast Flight or an equivalent on my bows.

You know George Stout has been using FF on bows from the 50s to present day and never had a failure? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 12:22:27 am »
   I prefer to use overlays. I have had a couple burrow into the grain with osage. Small percentage though. If I use 10 strands of fastflight or more I have never had a problem. I think my 6 strand string is the one that borrowed in.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:20 am »
i mostly use 8 strand and put some extra b-55 in the loops
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:58 am »
I just put a strand of artificial sinew into the loops.It's about as thick as a couple of B50 strands.It pads and thickens it up enough for the bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:08 am »
I made an Eastern Woodland design with those singular side knocks that are flip-flopped on both sides of the bow...no overlays...thin ff string.  It eventually cut into the bow.  I just made a real thin Osage overlay to reinforce it.  I think it is a good idea to pad the loops if they are thin.
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:52 am »
I usually pad the loops and most times over lays, but use FF on everything, never any problem, I have seen lots of b50  tiller strings cut the corner of the knock and split or at least start splitting the limb also when they get frayed up a bit and aren't kept waxed. Happens a lot at the Classic. I try and teach folks to take the string off while scrapping and that helps but some just won't do it and over a day of scrapping the string will get in bad shape if you don't keep and eye on them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 09:31:54 am »
I have always put D97 strings on my bows with no immediate problems, I shoot my bows for years and seldom have a problem I can trace to FF.

I have had three bows that cracked after years of use, they had in excess of 150K arrows shot through them.

One friend whose bow cracked suggested the bow might have lasted longer with a B50 string to absorb more of the shock over the years. His bow was shot for 5 years and had enough arrows put through it to wear out two D-97 strings, that's a lot of arrows.

If B50 is easier on a bow over the years I can't prove it but it makes sense.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 11:25:22 am »
I had a red oak bow (stave not board) split at the nock and down about 4 inches. I was using FF as a tillering string.

String was not padded and I don't do overlays.

I can't say that it would have split with B 50 anyway as I don't know but I can't remember that ever happening.

But I've been doing this for about 25 years so I can't remember for sure. That's a long time for remembering.

All I can say is make your own decision. I made mine. I'm sticking with B 50.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 03:34:43 pm »
whew ,, I didn t know you could use a 6 strand,, that sounds scary to me,,  :) but it is haloween,,so maybe I should try it,,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »
I've noticed with going with fewer strands, is the bow gets louder. Anybody else notice this? I've had to really play with the brace height and silencers on the string. Kinda wonder if after all of the extra weight thrown on the string it's not defeating the purpose for the extra speed? After all, B-50 quits stretching after a while.
Don't take me wrong, I hae a roll of something called 8125 they use at the Bear Factory for strings that will last me 50 years, just curious.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 07:18:51 pm »
I hunt with b 50,, at close range the fps I loose is not an issue,,
I test bows with the fast flight for fun,, and the low stretch is nice when first stringing a bow,,,,
but I like the feel of the thicker string for shooting,, so I use both,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 09:02:10 pm »
I've noticed with going with fewer strands, is the bow gets louder. Anybody else notice this? I've had to really play with the brace height and silencers on the string. Kinda wonder if after all of the extra weight thrown on the string it's not defeating the purpose for the extra speed? After all, B-50 quits stretching after a while.
Don't take me wrong, I hae a roll of something called 8125 they use at the Bear Factory for strings that will last me 50 years, just curious.

I like the low stretch but I don't like too skinny of a string. The extra weight of more strands doews cut down speed, about 1 1/2 fps per strand. An extra 4 strands is only about 6 fps. It might be 1/2 that, I  am not sure if I am remembering right.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »
The only time I had any bow failures with FF was because of some other problem.  One time I had an arrow nock fail and the resulting dry fire destroyed the tip overlay, split the limb tip and cracked the bow in half at the handle.  Other nock failures simply damaged the limb tips. 

I used to make 6 strand FF strings for bows up to 70# and 8 strands for bow heavier than that but now it's just 8 strands till I reach 80#. 

I don't think that it's just the extra string mass that slows down a bow but a combination of mass and diameter, with the extra diameter catching more air.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 05:14:12 am »
Some glass bows have poorly filed nocks with the grooves cut sharply across the limb with no finessing of the angle. That allows the string to get a start in splitting the limb.

It's those bows that set this  essential myth in motion.

I can pretty much guarantee if you use FF string with the older glass bows from the 60's, 70's you are sitting on a Fibre glass bomb just waiting to go off. The glass used now is a lot different then what was used in those days.

But, now I try to use Fast Flight or an equivalent on my bows.

How is modern glass different? It is still unidirectional even the uls with the scrim is unidirection. It will still split as easy as looking at it. It is more how the nock is cut and the material used for the overlay.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 06:14:01 am »
I usually use a 10 or 12 strand D97, but have used as little as 6 also. I don't like the 6 strand as well even thought it worked fine, I also use a larger serving so I don't have to double wrap. I find just the opposite Eddie, I fine them to be quieter, less shock and no string slap. I used B50 for years and yes it will settle in as far as brace but still stretches at the shot. I see no down side to FF. Some are of the mind it's more Traditional/Primitive, ???  but it's all man made material so that's no argument.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good