Author Topic: Newbie - first time HBO  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Smokeydog

Newbie - first time HBO
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:28:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

For years now I've intended to try and build a few woods bows and have collected this and that during this time. I'm sure the info I need is probably in a thread here, but wasn't finding anything in my searches.

What I have : an Osage board 5/8"x 2"x 68", a hickory slat that is about 3/16". Can anyone give my some general dimensions that might make a bow of about 45lbs or so in draw weight. Or perhaps even point me to some postings that have pictures.

Many Thanks!
Steve

Offline GB

Re: Newbie - first time HBO
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »
The last one I made a couple of years ago was 66" long and 45# at my 27 1/2" draw.  It was a trilam, 1/8" hickory backer, 1/8" tapered to 1/16" cherry core, and osage belly.  I made the limbs 1 3/8" wide and carried that width 10" from the fades and then tapered to 1/2" tips.  It's about 9/16" thick at the fades, just under 1/2" mid limb, and just under 3/8" thick at the tips.  Using all osage for the belly, you could make yours a bit narrower, like 1 1/4".  Your hickory backer is fine at 3/16".
This thread has a couple of pictures of that bow's side profile:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47958.msg655526.html#msg655526
Good luck!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:42:39 pm »
Welcome Steve. I'd start at 68" tip to tip(66" nock to nock), reduce the width to 1 1/2". I usually start with 3/4" thickness and don't need a power lam. Not sure about 5/8" thickness. A power lam is just a thin, tapered lam in the handle area to keep the handle ares stiff.
 I build my bows symmetrical, meaning the center(lengthwise) of the stave is the center of the handle. I mark 2" on either side of the center for the handle and another 2" for each fade area.(draw this out on the back of the bow but don't cut the back profile out til later) From this point go out 8" or so and begin a straight taper to 1/2" tips(for now).
 I like to check the bend on both limbs now before backing by floor tiller and if necessary tiller both limbs to an even bends. This will give you a nice even bend to your glue-up.
 Sand both sides of the hickory backing strip so you have about 1/8".   When you get to this point we can move on to the glue up.
You will get other methods from other folks so you will have to figure which one or combo works best for you. Ask lots of questions and post lots of pics.  Good luck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:18:09 am »
You have some good advice. Hickory backed osage makes a very nice bow. Just be SURE your hickory is straight grained and clean. No hidden little, dark spots or pin knots. Don't cut corners on your backer it will break your heart every time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 07:28:16 am »
I'd love to be helpful but don't know much about board bows.
These other guys sure do though so best wishes and welcome Steve.
Marco

Offline Smokeydog

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
Thanks! to All, I'm going to give it a try.  :)