Author Topic: bow failure due to ff string  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Emmet

bow failure due to ff string
« on: October 30, 2016, 03:48:58 pm »
I have heard "this bow" can't be shot with a fast flight string. It's not made for one . Or some will put tip overlays on so they can. I've heard people say they've never had an issue.

Question is, Has anyone here had a failure due to ff string or seen a broken bow that was a direct result.
Any pictures.

Offline FilipT

Re: bow failure due to ff string
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:13 pm »
I use FF strings on my self bows without overlays! My current hazel bow is 60# and has no problems with that string.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
I've always used Fast Flight, no problems. I'm wondering how a person could directly attribute a bow failure to the string?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:20:41 pm »
Just today my (estimated) 120 pound ash longbow lost its tip during tillering due to a FF string cutting in along the grain. It was my fault as I did a poor job cutting in that temporary self nock. In the end it wasn't a critical failure; the bow had plenty of length left.

I would advise caution, perhaps even some padding around the loops of the string to make them thicker. Then again, the better designed nocks did just fine without any padding. It's just not worth it, adding a bit of dacron doesn't hurt and it might save one some trouble.

On softer woods it might be a problem. If the nocks are not done well.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »
I use B-50 because I still have enough for another 10 bows.  No biggy.  It stretches somewhat.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »
I use overlays on all my yew and maple bows. I put them on early in the tillering so that might account for my lack of failures. I also don't make bows much over 45#.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 04:44:14 pm »
I've heard some FG bow shooters tell me they thought FF couldn't be used for self bows, it's a myth, thousands of wood bows out there have FF strings.
The only problem I can see is already been stated, a small diameter string splitting the grain at the nock, easily remedied with padded string, a thicker string, or tip overlays

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 05:05:30 pm »
All my bows have FF strings. Never had a problem. I'm not sure how a string could make a bow fail in the first place.
Linen has less stretch or about the same as FF and that was used almost exclusively until modern synthetics
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:30:04 pm »
Some glass bows have poorly filed nocks with the grooves cut sharply across the limb with no finessing of the angle. That allows the string to get a start in splitting the limb.

It's those bows that set this  essential myth in motion.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:39 pm »
The only bows that are suceptible to fast flight string are the extremely set back hooks and reflex on the high dry fire speed of the horn bows.The various cultures that make them.The tips can split or shatter.So if it is'nt that type a bow it's a green light go for ya to use it.Been using it on my self and laminated bows for years and years.Never a failure yet from that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »
I use FF strings but I pad my loops with 2 strands of Dacron

Offline Emmet

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 07:05:02 pm »
I suspected It may just be a myth on self bows and tip overlay are purely for sex appeal.
Any failure may be the result of a poorly made knock.
Thanks.

I have a reflex plum bow that's nearing finish and was planning on ff string but really didn't want overlays.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »
Some glass bows have poorly filed nocks with the grooves cut sharply across the limb with no finessing of the angle. That allows the string to get a start in splitting the limb.

It's those bows that set this  essential myth in motion.

I can pretty much guarantee if you use FF string with the older glass bows from the 60's, 70's you are sitting on a Fibre glass bomb just waiting to go off. The glass used now is a lot different then what was used in those days.

But, now I try to use Fast Flight or an equivalent on my bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Drewster

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 07:29:06 pm »
After having no problems in the past few years with FF strings, I've started using FF on ALL my bows.  BUT, I do pad my loops to make them a reasonable thickness.  Eight or ten strands of most FF material for a string just isn't good design or using good common sense.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:41 pm »
I had a hickory bow spiit at the string groove,( maybe it was gonna split with any string,, that is in 25 years of bow making), small diamenter ff,, I think if I had padded the loop it would have been fine,, ,, I have never had any problem with osage,,
I still shoot b 50 on alot of bows, I like the thicker string,, and when I use fast flight I have started to pad it just in case,,