Author Topic: Osage Bow design ?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Osage Bow design ?
« on: October 30, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »
Hi fellas  I just finished up a short bendy osage bow to the point where it's ready for sinew so I will have 6 weeks to work on another bow I would like to make a 45-48 lb. @29 handled self bowout of this stave but not sure if I have enough width I have never made a handled bow out of osage  The width would have to be 1 1/16  parallel  limb design 66 in. NTN  would be a strait limb with heated in 2 in. of reflex no static tips  5 in. Handle with 2 in. Fades  Do you think it's doable with out taking a bunch of set ? The stave is fairly clean  with the exception of one minor knot and some minor pin clusters ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Osage Bow design ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
Yeah, it's doable.  Good clean stave that's dry.  Good ring configuration.  Good tiller.  Temper it well.  I might go 4 inch handle, just because.  Carry the width out past mid limb.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:32:48 pm »
I agree with Bob, it is very doable...and with his design suggestion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:32:33 pm »
Ok thanks guys I will give it a go always wanted a thinner limb long bow , I love this wood as a newer guy it impresses the heck out of me it's probably old hat to you guys but it is a amazing wood.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:38:47 pm »
I think that in the past(early in the 1900's) Osage was commonly used for ELB style. They were quite narrow.