Author Topic: hot air gun?  (Read 3604 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: hot air gun?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 09:04:23 am »
I see DC...Interesting.Do you have a picture or better description of your radiant heater?
To tell the truth I've always been a little leary of heat treating these limbs say with multiple pins or knots along the back showing through to the belly.I've done it but still am leary.The knot wood seems to be a little harder already and too much heat might raise a splinter on the back of limbs after flexing to full draw.Assuming there is'nt a whole lot of extra reflex induced while doing this.Maybe other people have done this regularly and can chime in about their experiences with this.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

nsherve

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 10:13:13 am »
i really like the responses to my question... when getting a twist out of the wood, (it doesn't look too bad) do you do one arm at a time, or both?

(with said hot air gun)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:03 am »
I generally clamp the bow to the form at the handle, the back of the bow down, and work out one limb clamping as I go and using wedges where needed. Then on to the next limb. There are some occasions where I only work one limb but that's not usual.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:42 am »
Generally yes.I try to get the top plane of the limb the same as the top plane of the handle.Others may have success or do it different that's just me.There are different ways people will take propeller out too.Forms/wedges and by hand with one end clamped down but generally if the twist is'nt that much I just leave it alone.Lots of times if it is'nt much twist just bracing and shooting it will take it mostly out anyway at full draw.Experimenting trying different ways will show you what works.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »
i really like the responses to my question... when getting a twist out of the wood, (it doesn't look too bad) do you do one arm at a time, or both?

(with said hot air gun)

One