Author Topic: Unknown but Pretty  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Zuma

Unknown but Pretty
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:25:29 pm »
I have been out collecting mushrooms.
Still to hot to hunt. No frost yet.
I didn't collect these cause I don't know
about them. They sure are pretty though.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

Re: Unknown but Pretty
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »
some more
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
Those are pretty Zuma, I wish I knew more about mushrooms. I don't know what kind these are but they were all over my fence row. Took a picture of some when I was out hunting. I don't think there edible nothing else touched em.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:36:58 pm »
Well they sure make a good back drop for your gear. ;)
Very nice.  :)
I have those guys too. They are a no-no.
They start out as the yellow round ball with warts (above).
Iv'e been learning for twenty years and have only found
five types nearby I eat.
Zuma

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:21:41 am »
The Yellow/Orange ones with the white flakes are called Fly Agaric.  They used to make fly poison with them and are toxic, eating more than a couple will kill you.  I have heard that a mushroom that turns blue are "Magic Mushrooms" mushrooms containing Psilocybin.  The Red ones may be something we have around here that are edible but have a very spicy taste, I say may be.  The white ones are questionable.  If they are pink underneath then they may be Field mushrooms, if they are white then they are the Death Angel, no cure for that one I'm afraid
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »
Thanks Marc, good info. :)
Fly Agaric sounds correct. I hope they don't start cross breeding. ;)
There are tons of them here.
Check out Lactarius Indigo for the blue ones. I'm not positive but lean towards it.
I have to find more and do some spore checks.
Going out again today to see what I can find.
Fly poison and Death Angels, Yikes!
Zuma

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:16:06 pm »
The blue one looks like Lactarius indigo. If you run a sharp knife against the gills and a milky substance appears, that's what it is for sure. If so it's a choice edible mushroom, but I would never recommend eating one based solely on a picture Id. Marc's right about staying away from any mushroom with white gills.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 11:06:57 pm »
The blue one looks like Lactarius indigo. If you run a sharp knife against the gills and a milky substance appears, that's what it is for sure. If so it's a choice edible mushroom, but I would never recommend eating one based solely on a picture Id. Marc's right about staying away from any mushroom with white gills.
Welcome,
I went and found some more blue ones. I checked them for the lactarius.
Not so much. I only found a half dozen in the pine/cedar woods.
I won't try to eat them yet. I found a meals worth of Chicken Fats and Porcini
for tonight's deer steak.
I am familiar with Watkins Glenn, Penn Yan, Unidella, Sidney, Onianta. Ellensville,
Navsink, Binghamton, etc.
Zuma

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:27 pm »
Those fly agarics  are the yellow orange variety. The pacific northwest gets the red kind that look like mario mushrooms. They are both highly toxic and hallucinogenic. Certain cultures would feed them to livestock and then drink the urine produced, effectively filtering out enough of the toxins but leaving enough of the hallucinogen. From what I've read the effects of that particular hallucinogen aren't considered pleasant by most, more of a near death experience and kind of traumatic. I have no personal experience with that one.

The blue ones aren't indigo milky(s) as the gills are white not blue. I think they may be blewits(which are edible), but don't hold me to that. A blue mushroom does not necessarily mean it's magic. In fact I'm not aware of any that are naturally blue.  Some mushrooms that bruise blue may contain psilocybin, but the blue color only appears after rough handling.  Even then, it may not be hallucinogenic.  There are boletes that bruise blue that are considerded choice edibles, like the two color boltete for example. 

The red one is a tough ID without seeing the gills so I won't even guess. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 10:28:15 am »
Thanks Dakota,
The area where I am hunting the mushrooms
has been continually changing since I moved
here 30 years ago. Most of it was just pasture
with a few tree rows in the gullies. Like most
forest recovery we are at the cedar, pine hardwood
stage. Without any more rain I am thinking the
shrooms will be few. I need to find other pictures
of the red mushroom. It seemed to me that they
were the ones literally covering the forest floor.
They are very small and chewed up mostly.
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »
Ah ha!
I found them

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:58:48 pm »
I know this isn't about the main discussion, but, bjrogg, what skin is your quiver? Mink, marten, or some other furry woodland creature? I like your style of snake backing.

Eric
Eric

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
Those are colorful Zuma, it looks like the bugs like em. That thumb looks like it maybe stings a little hope you didn't say any bad words when you got that one.
Thanks High Desert, the arrow quiver is mink, the knife is muskrat. I really like it I posted a thread about it I think under primitive or around the campfire. It was titled " my prototype quiver"  the snake skins I did like that because I liked the look of wood and skins and I'm cheap so I backed 2 bows with 1 pair of skins.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »
Zuma,

Thanks for the welcome! Chickens and Porcini are two of my favorites. I got amazingly lucky with Porcini this year. I went out looking right after some steady rain and they were everywhere! Picked up about 6 lbs, and the best part, no bugs! It was too cold for them.

Black trumpets are still popping up in the Beech/Hemlock woods by me.

I'm outside of Rochester, but have been to all those spots you mentioned. Nice country ;)

Happy hunting!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:09 pm »
PS

I forgot to mention that L. indigo's gills are usually blue, but turn pale/yellowish with age. The milk disappears as well. They are known to grow with pines, so you never know. Check out http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lactarius_indigo.html for a detailed description of this mushroom.

Cheers

Nigerian Proverb