Author Topic: Hard maple arrow shafts  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Hard maple arrow shafts
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:42:31 pm »
I'm curious if anyone has experience making arrow shafts from hard maple boards. If so, how straight does the grain need to be to yield decent shafts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hard maple arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:48:27 pm »
Eric, I've never made arrows from maple boards but for any hardwood shafts straight grain is always better, safer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:58:06 pm »
Kevin Forrester makes them. Not sure how straight grained..,

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:07:17 pm »
I've seen them on his website, and may buy a dozen to try out. I don't want to depend on buying shafts though, that gets expensive.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:20:39 pm »
Poplar makes excellent arrows. I have some Charlie Jefferson (stringstretcher) sent me and have made a few sets of arrows. They are quite tough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:44:43 pm »
I have used Eastern Hard Rock Maple boards for arrow shafts. I never broke one.....maybe because I loose them before I have the chance to break them. I just rummage through the stack of boards to find the straightest I can find, and rip them on the bandsaw. Obviously the straighter the better, but I don't like to see more than a single ring make its way off the side of the shaft, where it makes the "<" on the shaft.

Eric
Eric

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:59:10 pm »
I bought some shafts years ago. You will find that they are heavy and do not need to be made very thick unless you want heavy arrows and heavy spine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:44:56 am »
I bought a dozen maple shafts from Paul Bruner (Screaming Eagle company) abut 25 years ago. They looked like a pile of snakes when I received them, I straightened and straightened but they had a mind of their own. I finally got a few straight and found that when shot out of a bow they had a mind of their own as well, straight, perfectly spined and they often took off high and wide of the target.

I still have one I footed with a Reparrow, it flies just so so.

I am sure there are better quality maple shafts out there than what I bought so many years ago but my first batch soured me on maple.

I bought a dozen poplar shafts from Paul as well, these were much worse than the maple, completely unusable. I have since traded for some mighty fine poplar shafting from other dealers.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 11:02:13 am »
Hmm, another vote for poplar. I traded for a few dozen poplar shafts here on PA a couple years back, and didn't care for them at all. I will admit I wasn't as good of an arrow maker then as I am now, so maybe I could do that wood more justice?

I admit that one of the reasons I'm interested in maple is because the wood is hard enough to polish to a nice sheen, whereas poplar seemed to look fuzzy when finished. Is there any way to polish poplar so it looks smoother?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:27:08 am »
Charlie Jefferson found while he was starting to turn out poplar shafts that the poplar billets he let season for 2 years made very stable shafts. The shafts he sent me were from that seasoned bunch and are what I sent to you, Eric.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 12:19:37 pm »
Is there any way to polish poplar so it looks smoother?

I spin poplar shafts thru a sized hole in some hard wood bits to burnish them.   Makes for a nice finish.  No fuzz. 

Russ

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:43 am »
I have several of Charlie's  poplar shafts also, they are heavy/tough and seem to stay straight after you get them straight. I have used Hickory also, they are tough, heavy and pretty easy to straighten but you have to tweak them pretty regular. Never tried any Hard rock Maple. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good