Author Topic: Anybody ever use redheart for limb lamination?  (Read 2165 times)

cool_98_555

Anybody ever use redheart for limb lamination?
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thinking of buying some redheart for a center lamination in a trilam bow (osage, redheart, bamboo).  Anyone ever use redheart for a limb lamination before?  I also have the option of using bloodwood, but i'm liking the color of redheart even better.

Thanks!

mikekeswick

Re: Anybody ever use redheart for limb lamination?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
The thing to bear in mind is that it looks great freshly cut but will fade to brown with UV exposure. If you want it to stay red then bloodwood is the better option. Although bloodwood is pretty dense....

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
blood wood is very oily isnt it?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:05:53 pm »
Use acetone to clean the oily woods

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 03:46:38 am »
Acetone actually just pulls more oils to the surface. All modern epoxies can glue these woods no problem. Adding acetone which is a thinner for epoxy isn't actually a good idea. Also most acetone (available to the public)unless you get it from a proper chemical suppliers will be diluted with other chemicals that don't flash off so well. I learnt about this from a girlfriend who ran multiple micro biology labs. With most chemicals the 'good stuff' isn't publically available.....
I've glued just about every wood going and have never had a problem. I use TBB3 and Smooth On EA40. The main thing you need to do with lams is make certain they aren't covered in dust and you have very good mating surfaces even with 'gap filling' glues.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 03:55:48 am »
Very interesting as I constantly read advice about using acetone to clean oily woods, such as ipe. Doubt those who gave advice had access to "good stuff".

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 04:38:38 am »
The only other thing in most store bought acetone is water which the acetone pulls from the air. Things like adhesive remover and paint strippers are usually a hodge podge of solvents with acetone being . If the container is labeled acetone, it is probably fine for removing oil from wood.  The "good stuff" is typically referred to as reagent grade(99.5% pure) anhydrous acetone.   It can be ordered from an online chem supply or if you have a grainger in your area they have it as well. If you are concerned about adulterants in your acetone place a few drops onto a glass surface and allow it to evaporate which should happen rather quickly. If you can see any residue remaining on the glass it is a sign of an adulterant, more than likely a petroleum distillate. If there is no visible residue, your acetone is fairly pure. If you really want to remove the water for some reason, you can add 1/2 cup oven dried Epsom salt. The salt will absorb the little water that the acetone pulls from the air. Pour the acetone through a filter and you'll have cleaned it sufficiently for just about any use other than graduate level chemistry. If your are just using it to remove oil residue, I wouldn't bother with pulling the water out(making it anhydrous).
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Chris3kilo

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 06:51:06 am »
Maybe you could use a 2K polyurethane coating with UV filter. Some of the PU coatings are flexible when cured

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 09:16:45 am »
Acetone is usually '"reclaimed" and thus slightly contaminated. You can fairly readily find mostly pure acetone, usually labelled as virgin acetone.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:40 am »
I think like a lot of things the acetone before oily woods was used long ago and taken as this is how it must be be done. I don't use acetone and don't have any problems. But do it how you want
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹