Author Topic: stoned elm  (Read 10332 times)

jamie

stoned elm
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:34:59 am »
heres another i finished up ths morning. elm again. really like this stuff. my favorite of the white woods. 64" ntn. 50@26. 1 1/4" wide 1/2" or so nocks. done with stone tools. bow had 1 1/2" of deflex in one tip and and 2 1/2" in the other so i steamed and bent the tips. not primitive , did it on the stove. bow has taken about a 1/2" of set since finishing. recovers though after being unstrung for the night. each end of the bow had a kink in it that gave the bow a lot of the original deflex (pics below). still some cambium on it . every now and then a piece cracks off and scares the bejesus out of me. i went with narrow tips on this one rather than the typical wide tips found on most woodland bows. found it didnt take that much more time to reduce em. hardest part of this bow was removing the bark, or actually the cambium. no finish yet. linen string. i broke the milkweed one i had made after 6 shots.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: stoned elm
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:37:54 am »
Good looking bow Jamie, tiller looks good. I'd bet it's a good shooter! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:34 am »
Very nice jamie ,looks great,lots of work I know but you do it well.Tiller looks good to me. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:53:06 am »
Ya very cool bro'. Agree with ya cambium is tough with the stones. For that matter steel when its dry. Lookee like a good hunter and aint that whats it about ? ;)...........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:25:36 am »
Love it jamie, the full draw pic is good also. Now go put a shirt on this a family site :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:32:00 am »
thanks guys. i love these bows theres something about them that just does my soul good.

dana be happy i put my pants on ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:46 am »
Looks good, looks like Elm has some pretty grain in it. I can't tell it wasn't worked with all the latest steel tools ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
I don't think you could have done a better job with modern tools. That is impressive.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:51:14 am »

WOW!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
  Oh ya!!  Been waiting to see another one of your great stone bows. Nice profile and great curves Jamie. Looks like ya got a bead drawn on the house cat or something.  Keenan

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:43:19 pm »
Nice Jamie. Have you never heat treaded Elm? A nice hardwood fire burnt down to coals works great. You just reflex the bow a bit and suspend it belly down about a foot over the coals till it turns browns, takes about 5 minutes
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:28 pm »
Jamie i like your bow. Elm is good stuff.

...and I like your bicoloured socks ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 02:28:40 pm »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
What kind of elm is it?  Keenan, I was wondering myself if there was a cat lurking in the corner  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »
This bow is the quintessential example of what self bows are all about. Such a fine weapon needs to shine so I did so with PhotoShop ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 02:40:38 pm »
Nice work Jamie.  I need to finish a couple of stone bows I have started.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah