Author Topic: Ca and horn nocks  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Ca and horn nocks
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 09:36:51 pm »
I have always used a quality 2 part epoxy, and have never had a problem

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »
When it comes to CA glue I only use LocTite Professional, But pappy did give me a bottle of some super strong CA glue, wish I had some more of that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 10:00:32 pm »
I had a couple failures with crazy glue and overlays so I stopped using it.  Never had one with TB
Marc...if you have had success with TB on overlays then I'm sure you would have success with loctite CA glue and not have to wait...............it's all about the mating surfaces.
DBar
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:21:58 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:29 am »
Usually industrial super glue but sometimes epoxy or TB3, all work fine for me if the joint is good and well cleaned. :) Eddie I will give you another bottle if you make it up in November. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:49 am »
 :) :) :) :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 08:29:36 am »
From what I have seen, when crazy glue sets it becomes quite brittle and that I think is the problem especially when you have a bow with high string tension and low string angle at brace.  You don't have that problem with TB as it doesn't get brittle once set.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline FilipT

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 11:33:57 am »
I am always amused that people will build an extensively glued up bow that requires longer curing times and maybe even a spell in an oven but when it comes to last bits they just can't wait more than a few seconds.

Epoxy does have a lot of advantages despite needing an overnight wait so I just grit my teeth and use it.

Some people don't have heated chamber for curing the epoxy.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 01:51:54 pm »
I have used Loc Tite for the last maybe 100 bows or so, zero failures. If I cant see light through my glue joint, it will never come off, ever. The wood itself will split away first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 01:59:50 pm »
I am always amused that people will build an extensively glued up bow that requires longer curing times and maybe even a spell in an oven but when it comes to last bits they just can't wait more than a few seconds.

Epoxy does have a lot of advantages despite needing an overnight wait so I just grit my teeth and use it.

Some people don't have heated chamber for curing the epoxy.

Hence the "maybe" but that was only to illustrate an element of patience anyway.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
My house has always been enough of a heat chamber to cure epoxy. I just use the 2 part stuff in the plastic syringe. 2Ton I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:21 pm »
A halogen work lamp at the proper distance will cure any epoxy. I have glued up entire bows using a few of them in sequnece. just some out of the box thinking when you want something bad enough but don't have exactly what you need.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 02:45:24 pm »
Ive always used gorilla glue for overlays..no failure as of yet...gut

Offline WillS

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »
Epoxy is probably a better choice, but I've used CA glue forever with horn nocks.  If you get the cheap, thin stuff it actually floods into the horn fibres as well, which gives the most amazing bond, provided the fit is just right.  Epoxy is great if you're not confident on the fit though.

I tried getting a pair of nocks off a bow recently, and they'd been glued on with some horrible cheap CA and I ended up having to cut them off, and drill the wood out.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 09:26:13 pm »
Epoxy is probably a better choice, but I've used CA glue forever with horn nocks.  If you get the cheap, thin stuff it actually floods into the horn fibres as well, which gives the most amazing bond, provided the fit is just right.  Epoxy is great if you're not confident on the fit though.

I tried getting a pair of nocks off a bow recently, and they'd been glued on with some horrible cheap CA and I ended up having to cut them off, and drill the wood out.
I like the sounds of that as I also use cheap CA. Never had a problem on anything else. Thanks- Brendan

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:10 am »
I know it is good enough for this particular job but I'd stay away from 'cheap' superglue. There is a marked difference in quality. Get industrial grade superglue. Takes some finding but all superglues are not equal.