Author Topic: Cordage Hafting Material?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline StumblyRhino

Cordage Hafting Material?
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
I'm currently out of sinew (waiting for me or any of my friends to get a deer instead of ordering), but I'm in possession of or can easily make cordage from cedar bark, basswood bark, nettle, milkweed, dogwood, or burdock, etc.

My questions as a new guy mounting my knapped points, is cordage an acceptable method of hafting stone points until I find some sinew?  If so, are any cordage materials preferred over the others or are they all about the same?

My shafts at the moment are bamboo garden stake, red osier dogwood, and homemade cedar ripped and turned from lumber. And pine pitch glue.

Thanks for any help, in advance!
Go Badgers!

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Cordage Hafting Material?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »
If I'm not wrong Otzi arrows where hafted with nettles cordages and birch tar glue

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:29:25 pm »
The point is actually secured with the pine pitch glue. The sinew is more to keep the shaft from splitting. I believe nettles is primitive I'm sure the primitive people ran out of sinew from time to time to. I'd like to see some of your stuff posted here sometime. Good luck getting resupplied with the sinew, Happy Hunting.
PS I'm getting low too.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:14:57 am »
Thanks, men. I'll try my hand at it with the nettles, and get some pics up for you.
Go Badgers!

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:01:03 pm »
Working and hunting too much to make much headway on this project, but I did manage some cordage tonight.  I went with milkweed instead of nettles as it was more handy.  Maybe pine pitch glue tomorrow.

Go Badgers!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 12:49:30 pm »
Stumbly, Are you making that with fresh fiber? I'm worried it may loosen up as it dries. IMO retted fiber is stronger too. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Nice tight twists tho.  ;D dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »
For hafting I'd think a single fiber would work better than a twisted strand because the twisted strand would be way more bulky. Single strands, like with sinew should be plenty strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:41:58 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I twisted up the thinnest I could a after I discovered what you said- it being too bulky. Just a few strands per bunch, it came out very fine.  I didn't want to use a single fiber, thought it may have been just fine.

As far as wetness, I peeled the fibers and left them sit for a day out on the screen porch before twisting. They dry up pretty quickly.
Go Badgers!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 01:56:54 pm »
I recently tried Agave fibers. Incredibly strong, thin and long stuff !!

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:20:48 pm »
I recently tried Agave fibers. Incredibly strong, thin and long stuff !!

We're pretty short on agave here in Wisconsin, unless you can reverse distill it out of the bottle. ;D
Go Badgers!