Author Topic: D/R ERC  (Read 5532 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
D/R ERC
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
Here's another ERC bow with a tapered maple backing.In the works still yet though.I'm very close to my draw weight pulling 22" so far @ 40#'s.Pulling smooth @ 2#'s per inch.It's basically in tiller good with a about 1/8" postive tiller.
My question is that there still is a bit of reflex showing just above midlimb at brace and does'nt seem to completely disappear at 22" yet either.Other than that I'm liking it.The profile should be flat in that area correct?A few scraper swipes in that area to get a nice even slightly rounded brace and draw side view profile.At least I think so from doing these in the past.It's ERC you know...kinda finnicky and had to ask.Bows' got plenty of width[2"@ fades] and length[68" TTT] to get my 52#'s @ 28".
Just unbraced

At brace

Side view of each limb

Pulled to 22"

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: D/R ERC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:09:53 pm »
Looking at this more @ 22" draw I think I need to get the outer third just above midlimb bending more for a more rounded profile.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:42:55 pm »
 Looks like the limbs are threatening to hinge about 6 inches in from either tip.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:52:09 pm »
Are they bending at all in middle areas, also there are hinges like Pat said

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 04:59:04 pm »
I'm afraid I'm probably not much help with you tiller but I like your Oliver Ed. "For Men Who Grow" always interesting see other people's work space. We got an old 88.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 05:28:51 pm »
I think I'd be worried where it comes out of the Fade, handle area. Looks like a lot of tension going on there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online ajooter

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 06:13:49 pm »
I agree with mullet...seems to be working a lot right at the fades.  That one area on the left limb towards the limbs looks like it might be trying to hinge too.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:35:18 pm »
From what I can see. It looks like you need to leave the inner 4-5" alone. Then scrape from there to midlimb and make that bend and see what it looks like.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 10:25:21 pm »
I've never tiller one like this but it seems to me the hinges are just kinks that I can see in you side limb profile pictures. It does seem to be bending a lot in the fades but I'm sure some is deflex you put in. It's seems more bend in the left fade to me. For what my 2 cents are worth I think I'd avoid fades and tips remove wood from mid limbs. I not real good at these though I think I'd just have to watch one like this move. I'm sure you'll get her under control Ed
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 11:09:17 pm »
What has happened is the tillering has gotten away from you for a R/D. One limb is going to have to go to a round profile to keep from hinging and then the other limb is going to also to make them match. I imagine you will lose a lot more weight then you wanted too.

Tillering a R/D is different then a regular "D" shaped bow in that you want the limbs to almost roll over in a wide "V" at full draw. When I scrape I start from the curves and work my way back towards the handle. That way I keep from digging a weak area near the handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:07:15 am »
I think we need Eddie or Marc to do a D/R tiller how-to!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:22:17 am »
Yea...I agree with you guys about this bow.I did get the limbs bending into a nice arch evenly.My goal was to make a red cedar bow that would be less stressed and last a long time.So wide and long it is.I was worried too about the possible hinge failure towards the tips too.That's why I did'nt pull it farther than 22"....lol.I scraped like said from the tips downward towards the handle mostly in the area that was just below the hinge with a cabinet scraper.Lost more pounds than I wanted and took more set then I wanted then too.I gave it a 1.25" deflex and 3.25" reflex which gave me a 2" reflex off the form.It turned out to be around 43 to 44 pounds at 28"-28.5".Only resting with maybe 1/2" reflex now.So it lost 1.5" reflex.I'll shoot a 465 grain arrow[lowest I got] through the chronograph once.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 11:30:16 am »
bjrogg....Yea that's an old 1966 diesel 1850 Oliver.Made quite a few rounds with that tractor....lol.Your 88 is older than that I think.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 02:11:32 pm »
Well some more wood removal yet from 43 to 44 pounds and I'm at 39 to 40 pounds but I like the bend a lot better.There was a stiff spot on the lower limb.It might need a little more out of the inner third towards the fades but I think I'll just leave it.At this point of progress on this bow I'm seriously thinking of piking it some to get up up to around 45 to 50 pounds.From 68" to 64",but that will put more stress yet on the limbs I'm afraid.Right now it's operating with a bout 1" of string follow.Going back to rest the tips a smidgen above the handle.Piked I'm sure that'll get to be more.I did shoot a 465 grain arrow and it went over 160 fps anyway.Some pics of the progress.

This might be a good bow for Robin to shoot.It shoots fine and should be safe enough for her.If I can get her to put all of her other projects down.....lol.She hates opossums.They eat her cats' cat food.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »
That opossum  killer looks good now ,160 fps at 43 lbs  465 grain sounds good for that lower draw weight that ERC/Maple  combo will be nice when you get it finished  I like the handle & profile !
If you fear failure you will never Try !