Author Topic: stone age bow  (Read 4612 times)

shootinbud

stone age bow
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:58:10 pm »
has anyone attemped this fron tbb vol 3 how did it go ? i started  mine today  ( i cheated i used a steel age axe)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: stone age bow
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:00:51 am »
Ask Ryano and Thimosabbv ....They like the Primitive Tool Made Bows alot!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:04:27 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:08:51 am »
Several people on here have built stone tool bows. Coo-wah-chobee has a build-along posted in the Caveman forum right now with one he's working on. Jamie has built several. Jawge and Marvin each built one, and several other people on here have done it over the years. I helped a friend build one last year, and will probably try another one before long. If you do most of the work while the wood is green it's really not that hard. We had one shooting in three days from cutting the tree to firing arrows. And if you used a steel axe, it ain't a stone age bow, and you're missing the main point of the experience-trying to learn the differences and difficulties in making something the way a different culture would have, including learning to make and use tools that are different from the ones you're used to working with. To get the most from a project like that, and to fully appreciate the way it was originally done, do it right. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:26:17 am »
Work the wood green. Bring it to floor tiller and let the limbs bend just a bit. Let it dry. Then continue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:38:18 pm »
you might want to try what a finnish fellow did just a few weeks back. he went to a forest when it was -15 centigrade looked for a rowas stave and made a bow out of it in the woods. no using anything but stuff that he found from the forest. no knife no nothing. just stones and bones :D it took him a few days, but he made it.
here is the link. the "knife" that he used was a deer leg bone he split with a rock. http://p1.foorumi.info/lukkaro/viewtopic.php?t=38 the making of the string is there also.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:02 pm »
fin , very cool post. wish i could read it.

shootin, it doesnt take much of a rock to take down a sapling, if ya decide to start over. anything with an edge even granite will cut through the tree. good luck with the project. if ya have any questions, please ask. peace

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:17 pm »
How complicated do you want to get?  You can make a simple, round cross-section bow from a green sapling stolen from a beaver dam. (That's what I would do  >:D)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

shootinbud

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:02 pm »
i woulda used the stone hand axe i made but i forgot gloves  or a leather pad and i decided i wanted to keep my fingers ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:31:23 pm »
Excuses... excuses. BTW how hungry was ya ? ;D ;D ;D................bob

shootinbud

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
 ;D ;D  haha