Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight shooting strings

<< < (2/8) > >>

Badger:
  Loon, even though the strands are 1/2 in the loops they are still close to equal strength because the tension is divided bewtween two loops. About 150 grains is typical for a 65" string using a flemish twist. I have to use silk to go below 100 grains. 125 grains is about the least I can get by with and that will usually break in less than 6 shots. I think If I started using continuous loop I could get that number down but I am slow at making the continuos loop strings.

Marc St Louis:
Not a flight string but it is a linen string.  This one is a 22 strand 16/2 Barbour linen with a 375# break strength, length 57".  Weight waxed with serving is 140 grains.

Badger:
  Mark, did you test the strands or is that the rating. You have always made great endless loop strings.

Marc St Louis:
I tested the strands Steve.  They were breaking between 17 and 19 lbs

Tuomo:
Well made continuous loop string (endless) and two loop flemish string weight about the same.

Steve - is that 125 grain string with Pyrosupplies linen or something else? Where it breaks? Loop, nocking point or somewhere else? I have got some good Swedish linen, which is a way better than old Barbour's etc. 200 pounds, 65" endless string weights about 90 grains with servings.

But, how big factor string weight really is in flight shooting? With good flight bow and arrow, is 90 grains string really "much" better than for example 130 grains string? Yes, I know that it equals about 10-15 grains in arrow weight but does that really matter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version