Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight shooting strings

<< < (6/8) > >>

Badger:
  The only condition that you would be able to duplicate accurately would be soaking wet. My humidity where I live is more consistent than most at about 60% give or take a few, but even at that I have never bothered to check the humidity when testing. Excellent observation.

Tuomo:
Very interesting results. I suspect that humidity change was the reason. I have at least three humidity meter, in every room I store wood or other materials. It is easy to check relative humidity. For example, I store my linen threads in the basement, where the relative humidity is always about 50-70 %, depending of the season.

Bocken's breaking strength was 13,1 # (min. 11,4, max 15,5) with short sample (30 cm, n=17) and 10,8 (min. 9,7, max 12,2) with long sample (150 cm, n=12). Relative humidity 55 %, 20 C. So, if you use longish samples, we are getting just the same results.

Aussie Yeoman:
Badger makes a good point: the only way everyone around the world can meaningfully compare results is to have wet thread.

Which begs the question: do those that shoot flight competitively, do you moisten your strings prior to shooting, or otherwise keep them in a sealed humidity environment before taking them out onto the salt flats?

avcase:
I wipe the string down with a lightly damped cloth before i shoot in very low humidity. It isn't enough moisture to add much mass but it sure makes a difference in the life of the string.

Alan

Aussie Yeoman:
Someone sent me a link to this mob:

http:/www.pyrosupplies.com/shop/page/category/Category/647698bcca6b92aff582ef0260d5adfd.html

suggesting the imported seven strand linen makes about a 130 gr string for about a 50 lb bow of 70" long.

Has anyone experimented with the other stuff available here?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version