Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight shooting strings

<< < (4/8) > >>

Badger:
  That is a nice looking string and excellent weight!

avcase:
Tuomo,
That looks like a very well made string to me too!  That must be some excellent linen. Is it still being manufactured?  There are a couple of good articles in Archery the Technical side that lists strength properties of the best linen used for bow strings in the 1930's which I use to gauge against. Fortunately, I find it is pretty easy to obtain similar quality linen today.  Your Swedish linen must be even better!

I think a large portion of my string weight ends up in the reinforced loops and heavy silk serving.  I rarely use wax, but I am curious if there may be a benefit I am overlooking.

Next time I build a linen string, I will try to have someone take pictures of the process. I am curious to how it compares to how you & others make bow strings.  I often learn something new each time I make a string with someone. The biggest problem for me is the amount of time it takes, but I feel it is much better spending some extra time to make one high performing string that is durable instead of quickly making several lower performing strings that break.

Alan

Alan

Tuomo:
Alan - sent you an e-mail.

The Swedish linen is Bockens Lingarna. You can order Bockens linen yarns (lace making threads) from here, it is also in English and they ships also to US and almost anywhere:

www lankava.fi/epages/lankava.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2Fesito%2FCategories%2Fpellavalangat%2FNypl%C3%A4yslangat

Notice, put a period between www and lankava...

Pella is Finnish lace making linen but it is not as good as Bocken, unfortunately. In general, if you want good bow string linen, search lace making linen/thread/yarn. It has usually very good quality.

I have also calculated strenth coefficient for various materials. I have used SI-units and best de facto standard is cN/tex. cN is centinewtons and tex is yarns weight in grams per 1000 meters of yarn. In my test, old (at least 30-40 years) Barbour’s 35/3 linen has value 31,0 cN/tex. Best linen yarn, Bockens 35/3 has value 36,5 cN/tex and best filament silk has value 41,2 cN/tex.

Please, photograph your string making process. It would be great to see, how good flight shooting string is made. Two loop endless string is so easy and straightforward to make that it is hard to believe that there is any secrets. Equal strain to every strand, good servings and very little wax, that’s it. Ok, of course there is some fine nyances, which can be very important and which I don’t know yet. I have used natural material strings very little. My plan is to shoot flight shooting with natural material strings here in Finland next year. To the date I have used only modern string materials in flight shooting.

avcase:
Tuomo,
That's lots of good information!

I find I have to test every roll of thread I get. There can be such a wide range of properties even if it is different batches of the same product from the same supplier.  Much of what I have is 20-100+ years old, so the variation may be due to how it is stored.  Or, like any other natural material, it may depend on the conditions the thread grew and how it was rhetted & processed.  I am sure there were better years and worse years, just like wine.

I'll put together a little pictorial of the next time I make one of these strings and focus only on the parts of the process I do different compared to the typical modern material string builder.  I will probably learn more from the rest of you than you will from me!

I also look forward to hear how your strings perform for you compared to modern strings. My experience is that a great linen string will perform almost as well as a modern fast flight string.

Alan

Badger:
  I go directly to the outlet and they allow me to test the individual rolls. I find in almost all cases the rated strength is almost exactly double the actual strength.  They use a large circle and put a dowel through each end so they are actually testing two strands

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version