Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight shooting strings

(1/8) > >>

Tuomo:
Primitive bow classes (USA Archery rules) requires natural string materials. So, what kind of natural material strings you are using? Flax, silk or something else? What is average weight of the string? Length? Endless two loops, flemish two loops or flemish one loop. What is strength factor - two, three, four, five or something else? Straight strands, twisted strands or braided stands core of the string?  What else you could tell? I am just curious...!

loon:
ramie is interesting too

Badger:
   I use flax string, 4 times draw weight, flemish most of the time occasionally endless. I think a material like silk can get away with less weight because it equals out the tension on the strands much better because of stretch. I have used nettle and found it slightly stronger than flax.

Tuomo:
Please, tell more, weight, length, etc.

I have been playing flax yarns. I have bought some well known Irish flax yarns, like Barbour's, Campbell and Patons. Every of these are quite good. Here is one example, Campbell 30/3 linen, 16 strands, 200 pounds, 165 cm (65"), tenacity 32,5 cN/tex, 83,7 grains without wax and center serving, 90,5 grains waxed and 96,5 grains waxed and with center serving. Servings are cotton. And this was old linen. With new and a bit better linen, about 75 grains string could be possible.

By the way, this is the best linen yarn I have now. My best silk thread (filament silk, not spun) has tenacity 41,20 cN/tex, so it is about 27 % stronger per mass than the Campbell linen yarn. Silk of course stretches but I don't think it is a problem, if the string is well prestretched.

loon:
Do your plant fiber endless strings break at the loops? Apparently ramie strings for Turkic hornbows were made with something like flemish twist at the loops and plenty of serving because, if endless, the halving of # of strands at the loops resulted in breakage

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version