Author Topic: weird!  (Read 1263 times)

Offline bushboy

weird!
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:12:52 am »
Behind my home is a forest of mainly burr oak!this is the first year that there is not one acorns on any of the trees or one the ground.is this normal or just plain spooky?thoughts,thx's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: weird!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:31:54 am »
Oaks, like most other trees run in cycles with lots of acorns some years and very few or none in other years. If you can find one producing tree it will be a honey hole. Other mast crops, hard(nuts) and soft(fruits) can be productive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 12:04:57 pm »
If legal in your area then take advantage of the lack of acorns and put a pile of corn near your stand....Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:46:24 pm »
Last year we had zero acorns on our place.  This year they are are loaded with them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »
Too many acorns can be as bad as no acorns. If the deer don't have to move to eat you chance of shooting one is less. Find other food sources. Even weed fields can be a food source if the right weeds are growing there. If you live in an area without much ground water a creek or pond can be a draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 11:41:57 am »
Too many acorns can be as bad as no acorns. If the deer don't have to move to eat you chance of shooting one is less. Find other food sources. Even weed fields can be a food source if the right weeds are growing there. If you live in an area without much ground water a creek or pond can be a draw.

Especially those weed fields!  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.