Author Topic: Is This Elm To Twisted To Do Anything With?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline onesojourner

Is This Elm To Twisted To Do Anything With?
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »
I have had this elm drying with the bark off in my basement for about 2 years. I finally got around to splitting it yesterday. Is this to twisted to do anything with? It is roughly 7'6". I started my split close to the center but it ended up getting thinner as a went along. It is maybe 1.5 inches thick in the center.

I have only one failed attempt under my belt so any tips would be great.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is This Elm To Twisted To Do Anything With?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »
No! If you have the patience, one or both of those staves will teach you a lot about manipulating wood for your use and understanding wood for bow building...and you could end up with a shootable bow.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:52:27 pm »
Doesn't look too terribly twisted to me. Looks more like one heavily reflexed and one heavily deflexed stave. Should be able to get a bow from those with some work.
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:44:18 am »
Yes!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:05:03 am »
No is my answer, that being said, I wouldn't touch em'! Its more wrestling than Id deal with. Elm grows pipe straight and clean, Id go find something much better.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:10:10 am »
Looks pretty knarly!you would of had a better chance. If reduced with a band saw or hatchet. I only split elm once and it came out about the same.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:48:59 am »
Is the back perfectly violation free?
If so, then you've put in the work to get it that way and should, in my opinion, give it a try and learn from it.
If the back is not perfect then I wouldn't bother unless you plan to back it for protection.
There must be some other wood growing near you that you could get drying while you work on this.

PS: I have that one's twin in the MIL's rafters and keep wondering if it should be firewood  ;)
Marco

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:15:10 am »
I'm like Bushboy. I don't split elm. I saw out my staves with a chain saw. Never had a split from grain run out. I treat elm as if it were some uniform material without grain or fiber. Just cut it out, tiller it and shoot it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline onesojourner

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:18:20 pm »
Is the back perfectly violation free?
PS: I have that one's twin in the MIL's rafters and keep wondering if it should be firewood  ;)
Marco

I did get into the first ring or 2 while stripping the bark when it was green.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »
If either or both of those are naturally reflexed then firstly offer up a sacrifice to Odin for such luck and then use dry heat to remove any propeller twist.  If you can get the middle and ends to line up with a piece of string you have the foundations for a great bow.  Natural reflex pre-heat treatment is natures gift to bowyers, use it when you find it!

Dean

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 04:22:18 am »
Aye but not if there is too much ;) Remember wood can only bend so far before the dreaded set.
Elm grows so straight that there is no need to use these wonky pieces. I've never had a problem splitting it. If the grain is twisted it will split twisted, if straight it will split straight. That's about all there is to it.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 07:46:58 am »
Honestly I'd roll with it for the simple fact when you do get that perfect stave and come across a problem, big or little, you'll be that much better for using these. Otherwise some you could learn from these staves could trip you up always use what you have taken. Even if it seems hopeless. Saying that the one on the left looks reflexes due to splitting I just built a D bow from cedar elm that did the same thing ended up with a pipe straight bow to set well an inch but it goes away after a few min of being unstrung

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:33 am »
I can see where Mike is coming from but I'm kinda with Swamp Thang on this; anyway, since the wood is all ready to go, what are you going to lose? My holly trade bow was badly twisted and carried a lot of reflex but it all came together in the end and made a really nice D-bow - lot of extra work though......... Rough it out with a hatchet, heat treat out the heli twist and see where you are.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 01:13:49 pm »
If this is the only dry wood you have, give it a shot. But first go out and find some better wood and get it drying. Then come back to this. You will learn some valuable lessons trying to straighten it. Personally I would use steam but I've never worked Elm. I would reduce it to 3/4"x2" (19x50mm) except for the handle. Then start planning the jigs and whatnot you are going to need to hold it while you straighten it. Read everything you can find about steaming wood. Maybe your new wood will be dry before you figure out how you are going to do this. ;D ;D Have fun.