Author Topic: Grizzly attacks...TWICE!  (Read 5406 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Grizzly attacks...TWICE!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 06:14:34 pm »
He was carrying both pepper spray AND a handgun.  Lotta people online second guessing him.  And I will guarantee all of them have never been in his situation.  Armchair ninjas every one of them.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:16 pm »
He said he used the bear spray. Why didnt he use the gun?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 07:01:08 am »
The guy is a legend taking time out from his ordeal to create an amusing post on social media- that's taking one for the team!
It's good he used the spray not the shooter- now those cubs will grow up tone big enough for one of you guys to shoot with an arrow!  :o
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 07:13:04 am »
I leave bears alone. Even with a gun you arent exactly at the top of the food chain. Besides, they are too kindred an animal.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:46 am »
Holy heck that is one tough dude. If he would of used is gun I bet those armchair ninjas would persecute him for shooting a mother bear.
Northern Ute

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 10:53:26 am »
Fascinating.  Ya'll think they'll destroy the mother bear?
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 02:57:57 pm »
Sleek, why didn't he go for the gun before the pepper spray?  He didn't say. 

Several experts state that the pepper spray has proven much more effective in tests with captive grizzly when you take into account the "effective fire zone".  Namely, the spray is far more controllable and covers a larger area than a gun.  There is a very low kill rate for people shooting bears at close range in a combat situation. 

And again, arguing over what he should have done is just so much armchair ninja posturing until you are in the situation with metabolic residue hitting the rotary atmospheric recirculator at the speed of sound. And ultimately, you have to admit that whatever his actions were, arguably he made ALL THE RIGHT MOVES AT THE RIGHT TIME simply because he survived. 

As for whether they will destroy the bear, I kinda doubt they would in this case...my best guess.  My line of logic/random thought is this:
1) She was deep in-country, not in a populated area
2) She mauled, but did not kill
3) She acted in a reasonable grizzly-based manner, i.e. defense of cubs. In other words, she didn't start the fight.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 07:17:32 pm »
You gotta like and respect a guy like that, glad he survived it.  Attacked twice and didn't panic about his injuries, kept his composure and got out alive.  One tough ombre.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.