Author Topic: Are Stone points legal  (Read 5713 times)

Offline tommyredfox

Are Stone points legal
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:13 pm »
Hello hunter's and shooters. I am new to this post. I live in Ohio and a first time dear hunter. The game warden is telling me stone points are not legal. Any Ohio hunter's out there use stone points if so have you had any problems with the law?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Are Stone points legal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »
They are legal in Indiana.  I just did a quick search online for Ohio and found this.  It doesn't say what material the broadheads have to be made from.  I would call your DNR and ask for clarification.

Longbow or Bow: Minimum draw weight 40 pounds. This includes compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tip needs a minimum of two cutting edges, which may be exposed or unexposed and a minimum 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:05:51 pm »
OO's right.Check it out with the DNR.They are legal in Iowa too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline tommyredfox

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:28 pm »
Ok thanks gents.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:10 am »
If the warden is telling you no make sure you maybe get something from DNR in writing or something, you don't want to cross the warden without solid info backing you up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:06 am »
When I called the NC DNR about the definition of a barbed point the head law enforcement guy told me it can't look like a fish hook. I told him none of my broadheads looked like fish hooks he told me to ask the DNR officer that would be writing the ticket to explain it.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »
Oooh I get goose bumps just thinking about getting a game warden mad at me, even if the law was technically on my side. That's scary. If he doesn't bust you for that when faced with the writing he could end hunting in Ohio for ya.. Maybe if you could bring him cookies and jerky and the writing from the DNR and see if he finds it agreeable and respectful

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:31:02 pm »
Wouldn't hurt to have a few examples of your arrows, too.  Just so he can see that you are serious about doing the job right!  I have had two C.O.'s that I will not name that have seen arrowheads I have from various knappers in here.  Both say that if they checked me in the woods and I was carrying these, they would pretend they hadn't seen them.  BOTH said they'd ticket someone using tourist trap buck apiece rocks (apparently there was a problem with that about 20 years ago with a couple guys and the GF&P Commission pushed thru anti stone legislation).

Whatever you do, be upfront about it.  These guys hear every brand of B.S. ever made. And on a daily basis.  No sense pegging the needle on their B.S. meter, right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:58:01 pm »
Thr rule in Penna. says legal broadheads with a outside diameter or width of 7/8 of an inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface and may not exceed 3.25 inches in lengtth.

Sounds awful confusing. One warden told me they were not legal and another told me they were legal. I guess a judge will have to figure it out if I'm busted.lol doesn't say anything about small game.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:36:57 pm »
Will Tell, the rule in Pa. says on   page 32  A broadhead is a fixed or mechanical tip affixed to the fore end of an arrow or bolt having a sharpened cutting edges consisting of metal or naturally occurring stone. The broadhead must have a outside dia. or width of at least 7/8" , and the length of the cutting surface may not exceed3-1/4" in length.  Pa. hunting Digest.  Your warden better brush up on the regs. Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:40:44 pm »
I was told many moons ago if the broadhead has a barb then it is illegal. Also any kind of serrations on the blade that is meant to rip or tear flesh. The broadhead needs to be able to pull out if shot into game animal. I suppose if you do not get good penetration then the broadhead should be able to back out rather than get locked in. Makes sense to me. The serrated edges are good cutters on stone but I think folks have went to extremes on metal heads and made some nasty rippers so grooved or serrated edges may be taboo.
I would think if your state does not specify "stone or rock points" being illegal then the design is your biggest concern. Getting the right width, length and no barbs or rippers.

Interesting link;   https://www.wasparchery.com/blog/broadhead-hunting-regulations-by-state
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:44:45 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline tommyredfox

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:42:02 pm »
Thank you gentlemen for all the information. Looks like I have some homework to do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:50 am »
Your state DNR website should say what is and what is not legal.  I think the problem is that the folks that make the laws are ignorant to the facts about the effectiveness of primitive weapons. We "primitive archers" live in a small universe as compared with the rest of the archery world so it's up to us to educate the folks that don't know yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 04:38:13 am »
They are legal in Tennessee , but to be honest I have been checked a few times over the years and have never been ask to see my broad heads/arrows /weight of bow, only License. :) They usually see what I am carrying and say, you really  hunt deer with that ??   :o ::) ;) :) :) It has been years since I have even seen a warder and I kind of like it that way. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
Not sure if this belongs here, but I was recently told by my mother in law ( if you guys think you got a bad one I'll trade ya) that I shouldn't be hunting deer with my bow because I might wound one. I told her that while that is a very real possibility, I thought if she was that concerned she better quit driving her car because I'm sure way more deer get wounded and suffer a painful death from getting hit by cars than all the primitive bows put together. I was surprised but that shut her up. (Have to put that on the calader)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise