Author Topic: Hickory Tiller Check  (Read 2517 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Hickory Tiller Check
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:30:10 pm »
Hey everyone, here is a tricky ELB I've been working on.  If I were going to move on without comment, I'd call her done.  ~67" long pulling I'd estimate 60-65#.  Scraped to one ring (quite a bit tougher on hickory than osage!!!) with a linen string.  The thickness tapers the same on both sides as far as I can tell, and I would say it's bending even. 

However, you guys here are way more experienced than I am so I'd like to get 2nd+ opinions.  The one limb is what is in question, it humps up slightly the 1st 3rd, then is concave, shown in the first picture.  Therefore, when drawn, you'd expect the slight hump to look like it's bending slightly more, and the concave part to be slightly flat.  Right?  Both tips have a little bit of recurve I heated in and match as far as I can tell. 

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Hickory Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
Looks like you could get the mid- outer bit of the left limb moving a little more. Cheers- Brendan
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:42:36 pm by penderbender »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »
Scrape middle area, exactly where you put these black arrows on picture.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »
Agree with those above.

Left limb scrape from midlimb to tips. Then you may need to take a little off the right limb to balance them. Right limb looks like it may be a tad stiff from handle to a little before midlimb. I could be wrong though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 10:17:47 pm »
Right limb looks perfect. Get the left tip coming around a bit more to match. Don't touch the inner 1/3 of the left limb though, looks like it could get hingy right there.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 04:14:10 am »
Don't make them 'match'.....you are correct in your thinking about tiller shape. You should still be able to see the unbraced shape reflected in the drawn shape.
You are pretty much perfect where you are. ;)

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:19:02 am »
I will second mikes's words

Online ajooter

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 08:50:13 am »
Mr. E. Jensen what are your rough dimensions on this stick?  I have started one at a similar length. 

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 11:00:17 am »
About 1-1/16 at the handle, "D" profile, 67" long, measured it yesterday at 52#@28" (not the 60# I was hoping for but a good reliable weight).

Thanks everyone for the input.  I scraped it a little where it's flat but I think I'm calling it done.  Now on to thinking about a leather grip.

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
an interesting study in two different tillering appproaches?
 I presume that the original hump and concavity were natural from the tree and that you chose to tiller without trying the "pre-straighten, then make perfect curve approach"?
Only the eye of the bowyer can make the call, and the best indicator for that judgement might be set and how that set changes or remains unchanged as the bow is broken in and shot. I would be tempted to trace the "at rest" back curve on the wall of the shop and make comparisons as the bow get more arrows thru it.
If you do monitor set with this bow, would you be kind enough to update the thread when something changes?

52#@28 is still pretty respectable for 1-1/16 wide I think.