Author Topic: standing dead osage  (Read 5086 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: standing dead osage
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 02:46:32 pm »
That's a shame.  Those borers will go down an old limb or knot and do some damage deep inside the wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:11 pm »
That's a shame.  Those borers will go down an old limb or knot and do some damage deep inside the wood. 

Oh yea they went deep into this tree all the way down to the center.
I like osage

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »
Look it over really good. I've had a lot that I thought was garbage but when you  look at a couple different times sometimes you see a way around it. If the hole go straight through the limb it's not a big deal but when it tracks crossing or up it that can be bad

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 08:31:18 pm »
Okay out of 4 staves so far I think I finally found one that's workable. Had to take a ton of wood off the back but hopefully will make a good bow. 

I like osage

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 12:08:31 am »
There you go! A lot of it that standing stuff I'll go for a belly split right from the beginning to get rid of all that excess dead stuff

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 01:34:52 am »
There you go! A lot of it that standing stuff I'll go for a belly split right from the beginning to get rid of all that excess dead stuff

The rot on the out side wasn't too deep. I did initially split off a few rings on the back to get rid of the little bit of rot and cracks. Bug damage has been the main problem with every stave.
I like osage