Author Topic: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics on page 12... Refinished pics on page 13)  (Read 49290 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Let's Build a Trilam!
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2016, 01:03:59 pm »
once i get the bend right and everything i smooth everything up some and start shooting it. About 20" for 15 arrows then i juat keep stretching it out as i shoot. I get to full draw and get shoot in almost the same time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2016, 01:26:23 pm »
once i get the bend right and everything i smooth everything up some and start shooting it. About 20" for 15 arrows then i juat keep stretching it out as i shoot. I get to full draw and get shoot in almost the same time

So you do that with all your bows? Your pyramid bow build along says the same thing, so it's nice to hear of a technique that not only works for you, but one you've been using for a while.

I'll have to do that with the next bow I make. The tillering string I'm using wouldn't be a good candidate for shooting arrows with and I've misplaced my string making material (which I did order more this morning!). If I could make a string for it today, I'd be more than willing to start sending arrows through it. For now, I'll finish exercising it to full draw on the tillering tree, then start with the final touches (shaping the tips and the handles, sanding the bow, etc.) while I await the delivery of the string material.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2016, 01:21:39 am »
the tiller is starting to look really good.  When you make one for yourself after this it will be even more amazing.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »
Well, here are the latest pics (no video... I'm gonna need the camera man to be home in order to record and draw on the bow at the same time!).  These pics are from exercising the bow to 28":

It's sitting at a hair over 50 lbs now.  I would have thought it would pull closer to 52 lbs since the last time I worked on it the bow was 47 lbs @ 26" (I haven't done any more scraping)... but I'd rather send out a great shooting well tillered bow that's underweight. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:58:22 am by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ajooter

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2016, 07:29:25 pm »
Wow...you've done it!!  How many times did you exercise it on the tree?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2016, 09:56:52 pm »
Well, I'm not quite there yet :P I have one inch to go.  I'll probably finish it tomorrow and then get to work on sanding/shaping.

As far as exercising, I would pull 30 times every inch.  If the limbs needed adjusting, I would scrape, pull 30 more times at the point where I stopped, and then see how it's bending (ie, if the limbs looked wonky at 15 inches, I would scrape, then pull 30 times to 15 inches, then if it still looked wonky, scrape some more, pull 30 times to 15, until it looked good, then proceed to 16).

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:00 am »
If you have another inch, then you may make 52 anyway.  It doesnt look to me like it needs more scraping--just sanding at this point.  Even 50#   is a good draw weight.  The persistence is paying off.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2016, 07:23:40 am »
Looks great Ty.  Seems like you have learned a lot along the way.  Are there plans you do another yet?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:33 am »
Very nice bow and great build-a-long too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2016, 08:26:48 am »
Its time to shoot it, even if its at 10 feet. Shoot at least 100 shots through it before you touch it again with a tool or sandpaper. Another inch of draw wont change a thing, if you can draw 29". Do it when you shoot it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:12 am »
I just had that thought this morning, Pearl!

From now until I get the string (unless I come across my current string by dumb luck... I can't wait until I can have a workshop where I can do it all in one place!), I'll work on sanding and shaping the tips and handle (the bits that won't affect the tiller). I'll be sure to post progress pics of this.

This is something I will do after shooting in and final tiller check, but I may as well ask now.  I'll do my own looking on this forum and TG, but for those of you with bamboo backed bow experience, how do you go about finishing the boo? I remember off the top of my head that you don't want to do drastic work on the nodes (like sanding them down until they're flat), but if there's anything else to keep in mind, it would be great to know.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:25:31 am by ty_in_ND »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2016, 11:06:01 am »
If you do a YouTube search for how to dye a bamboo backed bow, you will find a pretty good tutorial.  For what it's worth, I like all of them but the green and black one.  The nice thing about your previous attempts, is you can practice your technique on them until you are confident.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2016, 01:09:02 pm »
Good point!  Although I do have plans on salvage attempts, it definitely wouldn't hurt to try a "dry run" on one of them.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2016, 09:37:10 pm »
The post office was kind enough to be a couple days ahead of schedule! Instead of getting the string on Tuesday (the estimated delivery day), I got it this afternoon.

One more thing on the docket, though. I forgot to put a serving jig in the order. This won't be a problem, as my last serving jig was one I made up myself. It worked fairly well, too, so I think I'll take pictures of that coming together... Not that a serving jig needs a build along, but since I still have scrap parts laying around to whip another one together, might as well show it!

I was also planning on doing a good chunk of work to the handle tomorrow, so the hope is to get the handle and string taken care of tomorrow, spend Monday getting the bow shot in (I have the day off, so that shouldn't be a problem), double check the tiller, then finish the bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2016, 11:56:34 pm »
Jeffp51 I'm sure your getting excited to see and hold this bow in person. Tye I've really enjoyed this build I'm sure Jeff must have too. Jeff good things come to those that wait seems very true in this case.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise