Author Topic: Injury and draw length  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Dustinhill

Injury and draw length
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:44:34 pm »
Hi guys, I've seen some people mention that a longer draw is "smoother". I'm asking because I'm hoping to make a longer bow with a longer draw but am worried that the longer draw would hurt my torn right rotator cuff. (As of now I've only been shooting short draw) However, after thinking about the smooth draw concept I wanted to ask, which would put less strain on a bad shoulder #50 @28 or #50 @20?
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline jayman448

Re: Injury and draw length
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:09:39 am »
if the bow is 50# @20 its going to be like 75# @ full draw. short drawing may or may not hurt that shoulder. youll be engaging different muscles than with proper form. when guys are talking of longer bows having smoother draw its due to the different angle of the string. a longer bow has a lesser angle at 28 inch draw. im not sure if that helps you out. also why 50#? if its just for hunting purposes 45# should still do just fine for taking game, is legal in most areas if not all, and will put less stress on that shoulder. 

Online sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:33:21 am »
A longer bow has a smoother draw for longer draw lengths. So I would recommend a longer bow. Longer than what? Obviously your current bow, but I dont know how long that is. A 68 inch bow with recurves would be sweet as can be to pull back. But it needs to be very well made at lower draw weights or its length and mass will work against energy delivery to the arrow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:10:36 am »
Jayman - I was using #50 for my scenario because it seemed like a pretty common weight. My current bow is 46" ntn and #40 @19. In Pennsylvania the legal weight is #35. I'm only planning on hunting small game this year anyways.  it doesn't hurt my shoulder very much at that weight,  but I wanted to make a longer bow (65-70") to see how it felt but was worried about what you said sleek, that at a lower weight the mass of it could effect the performance. So for example, would it be a better performing bow if it was #45 @28 then #45 @20 if the bow was 70"?
Thanks for the responses,
Dustin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:43 am »
Yes, the 45@28 will out preform the 45@20, given both bows was 70 inches, longer power stroke always helps. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:23:56 am »
Build yourself a light weight bow with a longer draw and practice with it. It will also check your reaction to a longer draw without too much chance of injuring your shoulder.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:56 am »
Also, performance aside, I would think a proper draw length for your physiology would cause less stress on the shoulder than short drawing. My thinking being that as you reach full draw (assuming proper form) your draw arm goes behind your shoulder and the tension should all be in line with your body taking some of the pressure off your shoulder muscles, as opposed to short drawing where it would be off center and your shoulder muscles are holding everything in place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »
I'll figure out what my draw length should be and get making a longer and relatively light bow, Im thinking low 40's.  thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice and am looking forward to experimenting with longer draw and shooting without hurting my shoulder!
-Dustin

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 01:20:02 pm »
I think pulling 40# at 20 inches,, is harder than 40# at 28,, at least it is for me,,
but as suggested , try it to see which one is easier on your shoulder,,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:06:24 pm »
I had a 70" longbow that was 55# @28". When I pulled it to Full Draw it always felt like about 35#. Very pleasant to shoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »
Just try to keep the weight down or itll cast like a fly rod

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:00 pm »
Good to know mullet thanks! And jayman, you mean physical weight right? As in the weight of the limbs

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:08:33 am »
Yes physical weight of the limbs. Maybe like a pyramid style for the super light tips

Online sleek

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:53 am »
Depending on how long you go, you could just make the tips whip tillered. It would be like a long riser with shorter limbs. That would allow for less mass in the actual working limbs and allow for a more effecient bow at that bow length.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 09:38:36 am »
Thanks guys, when I start making the bow I'll definitely do that!