Author Topic: Pyramid vs Flatbow  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Pyramid vs Flatbow
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:07 pm »
The definitive science on bow design was done back in the 1930s by Paul Klosteg and Clarence Hickman. It's all in "Archery, the Technical Side." It's kind of overwhelming math and physics at times, for me at least. But we're just reinventing the bow when we try to sort it out from scratch.

Klopsteg was a brilliant engineer who did secret and very technically advanced work for the U.S. during WWII. He was also an avid archer and bowhunter. He did lots of experimenting with arrows, bows, accuracy and related issues.

Get the book if you can.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
the  TBB2 reference George cited, is indeed a good explanation of the tiller profiles obtained with pyramid or parallel limbs. Of course the tillers presume straight tapers combined with a constant thickness (or width as the case may be)

Jax started this thread asking which was the easiest to tiller, and I apologize to Jax for morphing the question to
"which tiller is better for what?"

Offline bubby

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 04:27:20 pm »
I think that a pyramid is easier to tiller jmho
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »
I think so too but only of they are tillered properly which is more rounded than elliptically tillered. Otherwise you'll just get more set. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!