Author Topic: It takes a good dog...  (Read 3372 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

It takes a good dog...
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
...to replace a good dog.  My old Scully was pretty damned great and the new Lena just doesn't seem to measure up.  And it is none of her fault, she is giving me all her best. But I just seem to continue to judge her supposed faults on another's best behaviors.  For one thing, she's a runner.  She runs any critter that is willing, or even unwilling.  Probably the hound in her, likely greyhound.  Because of that, I rarely take her hunting for fear she will jump a deer, elk, or someone's livestock.  And here in South Dakota, both the law and common practice justifies shooting on sight for this behavior. 

But last Saturday I decided to risk it all on a roll of the dice.  I packed the Jeep and drove out north of Belle Fourche to hunt grouse and scout for deer season.  No more than minutes into the first field, we kicked up the worst possible game...a jackrabbit.  Lena was on it immediately.  It is rare she ever gets to use top gear and redline her motor, but here it was in all it's glory!  The jack circled the field twice in a loop that was easily a one mile circumference.  Lena never let off the gas and after the first 200 yards she even stopped the yi-yi-yi-yi to concentrate on breathing.  The jack realized this dog was in it for the long haul and straightened his course, heading for the horizon and grabbing another gear (they have a seemingly endless supply of "another" gears!) he began to open up the gap.  It was pointless to call for Lena, she was in the throes of pursuit and I figured I would be here for hours waiting for her to come back. 

Luckily, she broke off pursuit when she realized she was out of line of sight from me. As she came back over the hill, she was still moving at a good clip looking for me.  Lena inadvertently ran right thru a flock of sitting grouse and one couldn't take the stress, shooting skyward and pumping for the horizon. Here she came, tongue flopping out the side of her gaping jaws, happy as a clam to have showed off her speed.  Any thought of punishing her was out of the question, you simply cannot correct a dog for running off when they come back.  Otherwise they think they are being punished for RETURNING!  So, I sucked it up and got out treats and poured her some water. 

After she caught her breath, I told her that this is a grouse hunt and I intend for her to stick to the program at hand.  All I got was a cocked head and a quizzical look.  I guess it was up to me to teach her what it was I was asking of her, so I started walking in a wide loop to get up to where the single grouse had launched.  It took about 30 minutes and Lena was satisfied to quarter back and forth through the grass and alfalfa usually about 20 yds away.  When she got a bit too far out, I called her back and treated her with a few kibbles. 

She bumped into the grouse again and a single outlier came up off the ground beneath her nose.  I popped off two highly ineffective shots.  Too tight a choke and 8 years of no wingshooting makes one a bit puny at the trigger.  I called Lena back to where the grouse came up and focused her excitement by pointing at the ground and repeating, "FINDTHEBIRD, FINDTHEBIRD!" She came in with a vigor, nose down and scattershotting all around me.  Suddenly she was in the middle of a half dozen launching butterball sharptail grouse!  I panic shot at one at 35 yds before I settled into picking out a closer bird. One shot folded it in flight.  I took my eye off the falling bird to see Lena still zipping around the ground.  Another pair came up and I quickly blew off two more holes in the sky.

Lena, scared to death of fireworks, shakes like Jello in an earthquake for thunderstorms was leaping like a porpoise through the grass and alfalfa.  Ears and tongue flapping madly, she was simply sure that another bird would get up if she just tried hard enough!  I dropped my hat where I stood and walked in the line best guessing the direction of my shot. Lack of birdhunting for 8 years and I made the worst mistake...I failed to mark a downed bird. 

I quartered back and forth for a good ten minutes before I spotted the winged grouse right at my feet.  I called Lena over, "Down bird, down bird! Find! Down bird!"  She came in, hit the bird with her nose, and kept on trotting, so I called her back. "Here, down bird, here, down bird!"  The second time it all clicked: the scent, the movement, the shape...PREY!

And just like that, she reverted to her roots as a feral pup from Pine Ridge.  She snatched up that bird and tore off in that stiff legged gallop reminiscent of a coyote.  This was a make or break moment for her. If she stayed out of range and started eating, it would be over forever.  You can't bird hunt with a dog that claims the birds.  I pulled out the water bottle and treat bag, calling for her to come back.  She warily circled me, coming closer.  When she was ten yards out, I dumped the treat bag contents out like I was sewing seeds in the field.  She dropped the bird and went to snarfing up Pupperoni!!!  I scooped up the grouse and laid on the praise hard and fast. 

Later that evening, we sat on a hay bale watching the moon rise over the eastern horizon.  It's the time of the Hunter's Moon.  The last few months have been pretty damned hard.  I took a(nother) serious financial hit, became homeless, found a new place but had to give up the falcon in order to keep a roof, and just a grocery list of other little things falling apart. 

Yeah, it takes a good dog to replace a good dog.  It took over two years of hunting every weekend during season for Scully to finally figure out birds.  And in all our years together, she never once retrieved a bird.  Found them, yes. Kicked them up, yes. But no retrieving.  Now on our first day out Lena is nosing birds, picks them up, and brings them back when I call.  Once again, I prove my point.  Most of the hard work in training a dog is getting through the stupid trainer's thick skull. 

I apologize to you, Lena, for my lack of faith in your willingness to please me. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: It takes a good dog...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »
Ai'nt nothing like the companionship and teamwork with a dog as a partner.You've got your job and they've got theirs,and together the job gets done.Nice story JW.Some people are quick to judge and make permanent assumptions on a dog.I'm glad you hung in there with her and shelter hunted her to find out herself what you wanted.She has found a bigger purpose in life now.Your both better off from the experience.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »
Just like training kids. Usally I say that the other way around.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:25 pm »
sounds like you have had a rough go the last few months John, good thing you have that dog cause all they know is to love ya and a good dog is the best friend you can have.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:22 pm »
Hey Now!!!
Thats a sharp lookin hat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:56 am »
Great story JW, hope things brighten up for you, I am having the same trouble with Sister, she just ant Sadie/Hannah or Sally and I guess at some point I am going to have to realize that. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:05 am »
Enjoyed the story JW - well done with Your Dog ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:07:34 am »
Good story JW. I think you raised her right and the two of you are lucky to have each other to get though stormy times.
I hope life is done throwing curve balls at ya, keep the chin up brother.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:25 am »
Great story, it's stuff like this that makes me wish I weren't allergic to dogs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 03:24:25 pm »
Great story, it's stuff like this that makes me wish I weren't allergic to dogs.

All dogs? Or just the ones what aren't special? My "Dog" is half shih-tzu and half poodle. He's little, but he is for sure all dog.

JW, I could read your stories all day. A dog is hard to replace, but the good thing is that they are all dogs, and they will do anything to make you happy.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:05:08 pm »
This morning we ran up the road to Pactola Dam, having heard large rainbows were practically fighting over who gets to bite your hook. The bite had obviously cooled a great degree by the time we got there.  I hooked a good two dozen fish and landed five.  Of those five, two were slippery enough buggers to dance away and slip back into the water, including a 17 inch with a tiny head and a very deep belly!  I will make a "sour grapes" call on this fish and say it probably tasted crappy anyway.

Lena started getting interested in fish when I would have one dancing on the end of the line.  Later, some were jumping in the water and she got pretty wound up....bothered her so bad, she swam out to check them out!  You know what would really help, well that would be if you would stop helping, lady!

She became very interested in the one trout that was hooked deep and bleeding from the gills.  It would not survive, so I put it on the stringer and back into the water.  At one point she decided she would just have to bury her head underwater to get close enough to check out this fish.  When bubbles came up in a rush, I knew what had happened.  She gave it the classic dog investigatory process.  Namely, one good sniff.  Out of the water she came, coughing, retching and vomiting.  Apparently, one should not take great big sniffs underwater. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »
Great story JW.. My ol dog Luke would go in after them when they got close.. Good thing for barbless hooks.. Learned that walleye have spikes
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
JW that is a story I could read over and over. I trained MANY coonhounds over the years for myself and for a living. Watching a dog put it all together is pure joy! Keep the stories coming.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:11:01 pm »

All dogs?

Yes, if a dog has been in a room in the last month I will know it by the itchy eyed, faucet nosed misery that besets me until I pass out from the benedryl, lol.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »
Great story John, hope you two have better months ahead.  It is tough not to compare a new uncertain dog to a good old proven dog.  Good for you for hanging in there, on both accounts.  We wish you the best, and keep writing.