Author Topic: Haldir's longbow recurve - *Updated Pics**  (Read 7531 times)

bowstick

Haldir's longbow recurve - *Updated Pics**
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:14:02 am »
***Updated Pics of handle***
Right now I only have the detail of the tips of this bow.... I have yet to still paint it gold, but I will repost more pics as it comes along.  The detailed carving work will be painted metalic gold, the rest of the bow remaining brown.    The bow is a replica of that from LOTR from a high elven archer named "haldir".  acutally all the high elven archers shot a bow like this... this is my version.  I will post more pictures as they become available, but for now the ones of the tip are the only ones available.  I have my website written across the image for trademark and copyright reasons.  And yes, I know the extra "hook" at the tip will add handshock... however this is a functional replica... not a hunting bow, so please keep the "performance negative posts to a minimum, I am aware".   The bow stands 7' 2" tall and is made from 7 layers of wood... the inner layers of wood being made up of barell tapered sassafras, and the back and belly being made up of sap wood hickory.  I do have a video on Youtube of this bow being shot, here is the link:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=88vwGSGrEec   and here are the pictures:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:49:45 pm by bowstick »

Offline Jesse

Re: Haldir's longbow recurve - Detail of the Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:01:49 am »
That is one fancy bow. As art it is very cool it would look good on the wall .And it shoots. Thats a plus. Good job. Is that epoxy for the carvings? looks nice.  Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:44:17 am »
Someone may like this but to me it looks like a curtain rod, now where did I put them drapes the wife wanted hung. ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:21 am »
Don't know what to say but WOW. :)
    pAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:45 am »
Someone may like this but to me it looks like a curtain rod, now where did I put them drapes the wife wanted hung. ::)

Must be a Yooper Thang....cause thats what I thought too....when I seen it wholy whuh.....ey!!!!!!!Take off ....dat aint no Bow!!!!!!!!!!! L.M.A.O.R.O.T.F.       just a Joke Bowstick..bends really nice..watched the Video!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:32:52 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
Wish I had your artist ability,your bows are impressive and functional! Gonna make myself a green bow,like your ivy but sans ivy leaves,but maybe some other design. Thanks for the inspiration! Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:49:57 pm »
With heavy tips, how is the hand shock and cast?

bowstick

Re: Haldir's longbow recurve - *Updated Pics**
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »
because the limbs are made from sassafrass (sandwiched between hickory), there surprisingly is not much handshock.  If you watch the youtube video, the arrow that was shot had a broadhead on it and it ended up 40 yards into the neighbors driveway and stuck into the aluminum gutter... so the bow can really spit the arrows out.  I'll do more video of it being shot later this week.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »
When people ask me to describe what we do, I say we craft weapons, but it is also art as even the most wretched stick is still beautiful.
That is a cool piece, but I wouldn't hang a curtain from it, here it would be a few bikinis ;D

Rich-80 and sunny today

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:55 pm »
Where's the full draw pic?????? ::) :o

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »
That is one wild looking bow! Love that profile - gonna build one like that one day, minus the decoration's :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.