Author Topic: How tough is bamboo?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline DC

How tough is bamboo?
« on: December 21, 2016, 02:11:41 pm »
I've got a clump of Bamboo growing in the yard that would have been ready to harvest next year. We had about 8" of heavy wet snow that flattened it to the ground :(. Then it froze :(. Should I be out there trying to free it and stand it up or would it be better to just leave it and let nature take it's course. Will it straighten up well enough for arrows on it's own? I've been growing this clump for three years and these would be my first home grown arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How tough is bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »
I haven't had that problem but bamboo I have seen that was laid over by snow or ice never recovered by itself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:04:56 pm »
Don't no bout boo but river cane once bent over doesn't recover.  I think I'd cut the ones that is bent over/broke and use them...
JIMO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:37 pm »
I went out and looked and the snow is still frozen. I tried to break it up a bit with a pitchfork but I was afraid I was doing more harm than good. I'll just have to wait and see. I might get a few shafts but the only ones that were big enough are only one year old.