Author Topic: New bow arrived!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

New bow arrived!
« on: September 09, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »
My new turkish bow from AF Archery arrived, can't wait to go shoot it. It's wood and fg, very light. 50#@28".

Offline bow101

Re: New bow arrived!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:30:25 pm »
............you call that light this old cowboy cant pull that anymore... :o :P  anyway nice bow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:37:12 pm »
Lol, I mean the physical weight of the bow, not draw weight. I don't have a scale handy but just with my hands the bow is about the same weight as four or five arrows (my arrows are about 500-600grains).

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:38:18 am »
Cool Bow - bet it will be fun to shoot ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:25:30 am »
That is quite the bend there Urufu, That one would be tricky to tiller. I don't think I could tiller one like that I'd end up with broken stick. Intrested to find out how it shoots. No horn just wood and fg?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:42:31 am »
Right, just wood and fg, but fg actually does a very good job of simulating horn/sinew, similar performance, even similar draw force curve, but without the expense and maintenance. $150 for this bow vs $600 for the real deal...

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »
Cool bow. Curious though, who sells horn/wood/sinew bows for 600$???

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:12:18 pm »
Just curious Urufu, do you shoot with a thumb ring? And if so what side of bow do  you put your arrow? When I 1st started shooting I actually made a pvc thumb ring and shoot off the left side of bow which I know is wrong side for thumb ring but I saw it on YouTube. Other than arrow wanting to come off shelf it worked good. I use tab now but I did like the thumb ring.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 02:48:51 pm »
My horn bow would have sold for $3400 if I hadn't traded for it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
$600 for a cheap one, I've seen a few makers sell on Etsy and the like. Yes, thumb ring off the right side of the bow.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 11:58:46 am »
Ok, I shot this bow yesterday and just WOW! It's a tiny beast, a giant monster in a small package! Even at 30yrds trajectory was virtually flat. Arrows were sinking halfway into the targets (layers of flat foam sheets clamped down) and my arrows are 33". A slight bit of hand shock but not enough to bother and didn't really notice it after a while, just enough to know it's there when paying attention to all the aspects of trying out a new bow, which is actually surprising for how light this thing is, it weighs almost nothing so there's no mass to dampen it. It's a little loud but I guess that makes sense for such a tiny yet powerful piece of glass. I love it, and for $150, hell I'd say this bow is worth $300 or more so no doubt I've got my money's worth!

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:56 am »
woah that's a good deal.
handshock... maybe your nock point is off? draw length? arrow weight/spine?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 09:36:45 am »
Well I hesitate to even call it hand shock, it's just in comparison to my Manchu style which is completely dead in the hand due to its mass/weight. This new bow is way more powerful and much lighter so of course it's going to feel different in the hand on release. Draw length is around 27.5” for me, though it can do 30", I suspect either this bow is heavier than 50#@28" or my Manchu is weaker than the rated 50#@28".