Author Topic: Question about bow poundage and arrow performance.  (Read 8161 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Question about bow poundage and arrow performance.
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:16:30 pm »
Say you got a bow that shoots pretty good for it's poundage.Now if that bow shoots a certain grain arrow at it's draw weight that's standard.50# bow shooting a 500 grain arrow @ 28" @ 150 fps.Now if that bow was to shoot a 700 grain arrow @ 28" @ 150 fps does that mean that bow shoots like a 70# bow then?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:08:43 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Question about bow poundage and performance.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:42 pm »
I would say it shoots like a fast 50# bow.  >:D

I see where you're going. I assume you mean a 70# bow of the same exact wood and same design as the 50#?

That gap in performance could be seen just from using better wood, a sinew backing,  or an improved design I would think. Translating better performance into poundage leaves a lot of factors out I think. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:57:33 pm »
Isn't the 70 pound bow supposed to shoot 170?   ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:00 pm »
I think a 70# bow that will shoot a 700 grain arrow 150 fps,, is about right, but I might be confused,, :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:09:04 am »
No, it just means your 50# bow has too much mass to make use of it's full potential
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:00:07 am »
I may have not explained my question right.Yes a 70# bow should shoot a 700 grain arrow @ 170 fps.That's standard.What I'm asking in a different way here is if this 50# bow shoots a 500 grain arrow @ 190 fps.What poundage is this 50# bow really shooting at?To me the bow is shooting 40 fps above standard.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:13:29 am »
The way I understand it, a 50 lb bow shooting a 500 grain arrow at 190 fps is very efficient, so it is making the most of the draw weight it has compared to a less efficient 70 lb bow that might shoot the same arrow the same speed.  It doesn't make the 70 lb bow any lighter at full draw; that bow just loses more of its energy on limb vibration or whatever.  (Smarter people may want to elaborate on "limb vibration or whatever"...that's as technical as I get!)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:13:38 am »
Excuse me this is @ a standard 28" draw also.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 10:20:03 am »
   Bows that shoot 170 fps @ 10 grains per pound regardless of weight are pretty common today. It has a lot to do with the shooter. Some guys will test very low with a good bow because they use a slower release method or creep away from full draw on release. I would guess that today most properly made self bows are shooting at about 165 fps if they are properly tested.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:23:54 am »
Yes I too realize the bow is being efficient.All things being standard 10 gpp draw weight arrow @ 28" to start at here.What poundage is this efficient bow really performing like?If there is a formula or something to figure this out I'm just curious.My mind gets lost with figures floating around to figure this out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:35:56 am »
Yes form and release and speed can be different between individuals on the same bow.I'm along with that.What I'm asking is if this bow is shot by the same individual always.Anyway seems like another question for an engineer to figure out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:37 am »
A bow that draws 50#@28" is still a 50# bow whether it shoots a 500gr arrow at 150fps or 170fps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 10:57:02 am »
Yes but what poundage is that 50# bow performing at shooting the above standard speed of itself.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 11:16:22 am »
I see.No one seems to know.Guess I come up with a real stumper to ask.Anyway here are my thoughts on my question.If a 50# bow is shooting a 10gpp draw weight arrow[500 grains] and it shoots that arrow at 190 fps.It cannot be performing like a 90# bow yet because the 90# bow is shooting a 900 grain arrow.If that 900 grain arrow is shot by the 50# bow it would not go as fast as the 90# bow's cast.I was thinking @ 150 fps then in comparison.Anyway I've read claims by bowyers of performances of different bows and was wondering what the thought process was to come up with certain figures.
BowEd
Ed

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 11:16:32 am »
Ok, I'm going to try and take the scientific approach to this. In this scenario, like Marc said, the bow has too much mass for a 50 lb bow. The limbs can only move so fast with a given load. If the bow is shooting the same speed with with two different loads, then essentially the bow is at dry fire speed. With the lighter arrow, energy is being wasted, the energy has to go somewhere, this will be in the form of limb vibration and hand shock. This may be a terrible analogy, but put a piece of gravel in the back of a diesel pickup, and floor it, record acceleration, keep adding rock and eventually acceleration will start to slow at a noticeable rate, this will be your max efficiency. But when you add only a few lbs of rock, the pickup doesn't even notice it, just like you bow doesn't notice the added arrow weight. Too much engine for what your hauling. So with this bow, you would keep adding arrow weight until your arrow speed started to slow. To say the bow shoots like a 70 lb bow, sure, if you want to say that. It's hard to make that statement scientifically. Ideally, you would remove mass until the bow shot the 500 grain arrow at the point where any larger arrow would start to accelerate at a slower rate. This maybe hard without reducing any draw weight. Every bow is so different, each will have its optimum arrow weight to achieve max efficiently, all affected by design. BUT, I may be wrong on all this. Maybe someone can find some error in what I've said. Or maybe I've said too much....

Eric
Eric