Author Topic: sinew backed hickory  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: sinew backed hickory
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »
 I do not know for sure. Maybe to soon. Or was too dry and that made it stick. Any way I will make it look good.
A good lesson.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:01 pm »
Good to hear. It is probably just a matter of peeling it at just the right time. I have even left it overnight and misted  the cloth with a spray bottle or a brush and water to soften the very outside and then gently peeled it off.

Even if it pulls up a little it's just a matter of pushing it back down and you can re-activate it with warmth and the rubber wrapping.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:51 pm »
 Ok then. when you would go about reactivating the glue . How do you do this ? I may not have done that right.
Only my first use of hide glue.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 08:40:33 pm »
You can do it at any point that the glue is still at  a high moisture content. That gives you about 2-4 days depending on your RH.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
 Call me dumb. You do this by adding warm hide glue to the back and letting it begin to set.?

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:12 pm »
 The glue is set up hard on my bow now. It is in the house near a return air vent.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:56:34 pm »
Yes, you can actually re-activate the dried glue aggressively with diluted fresh glue and flatten it or do a combination of activating it and adding some extra sinew and wrapping the whole thing again.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »
 Cool. I am going to let this one dry I think. I will put to use your process on the next one. I may have to bug you first if that's ok.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:27 am »
The first sinew bow I did I put all 3 layers at once I read every book on sinew I could get my hands on Jim Hamms ,TBB, Laubin, & whatever artical I could & after I was done it look like a big pile of junk & even posted on it and I think it was Pat B said who cares as long as it peforms but after about 2 weeks after curring a little it looked realy good & I did what Ed said filled in some with strips of sinew , in the end it looked good enough not to cover up just sealed it & good to go. Sinew is interesting stuff but has a pretty fair learning curve Im learning new stuff every bow.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

gutpile

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 09:22:40 am »
sinew and hickory are not the best combos..hickory is very hydroscoptic meaning it sucks up moisture..I would leave bow in climate controlled spot for a month minimum.. better backing for hickory than sinew... no need to back hickory anyway unless violated...under bark is back...no chasing rings...maple would of been better choice.IMO...gut

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 03:41:07 pm »
I think hickory/sinew gets a unjustified bad wrap one of my hunting bows this year is hickory/sinew I sealed it with 6 coats of tru oil & then applied 6 or 7 coats of poly and then put a good coat of wax on and I have had this bow in high humidity & rain it didn't lose any noticeable power or arrow trajectory , I think hickory/sinew is on par with any other wood/sinew combo if you seal it properly , before I go hunting I will put on another coat of wax, I love hickory/sinew  it's a sweet combo to me.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 03:56:39 pm »
 I know you don't have to do much to get a bow from hickory. I prefer whitewoods for bows. Nothing against osage .
My next trial is an elm pony bow. Got it made just gotta sinew it.  ;D

Offline DuBois

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:38 am »
 note.

I used PatM method on a couple of sinew bows and as usual I modified the simple technique just cause I have an experiment prone nature to me.
I used waxed meat wrap paper with the wax side against the sinew. Just gently taped the strips around to the belly enough to wrap with tubes and put it in the car in the sun. Worked nicely enough with only a few little paper wrinkles and the paper came off easy after a couple days settin in the house. I did not plan to add any more layers and not sure if wax would be a problem in that case.

Looking forward to seeing it done Dan.
Marco

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 10:05:50 am »
Always good to experiment.  I also use those crepe rubber based support bandages for horse legs(Vetwrap) if I have them on hand. That's probably the best all around material, combining the cloth and rubber together.
   It really helps to have some sort of tensile stretch to the material in order to create pressure that can contract a bit as the volume of the backing reduces.
    Cloth strips have very minimal capacity in this regard so you need to re-do things more than if you use a more stretchy material.